I cannot see myself doing a PhD

• Thread starter robertya1027
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: You are a US citizen.3. You are currently studying in a university in the US (specifically, a school in California).4. Your goal is to work in the tech industry, preferably in a data science or software engineering role.In summary, it seems that you are a US citizen studying in a university in California, with the goal of working in the tech industry, and coming from a well-off family. Your Reddit posts also suggest that you do not think you can survive a PhD program, and you are seeking advice on alternative career paths.
robertya1027
I posted a lot of times on reddit, because I don't think I can survive a PhD

Physics news on Phys.org
And did you have a question or did you just need for us to know that?

Likes russ_watters, gwnorth, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
phinds said:
And did you have a question or did you just need for us to know that?
Is it OK to get a MS without a PhD (in physics), I feel a little bad about myself for not doing a PhD but I don't think I have the mental capacity to do one anyways

robertya1027 said:
Is it OK to get a MS without a PhD (in physics), I feel a little bad about myself for not doing a PhD but I don't think I have the mental capacity to do one anyways
Well, it depends on what you want to do. In any case, if you've done enough to get a masters then you have a good idea of what it would take to do the PhD so knowing that, if you don't think that's the right thing for you, it's hard to see how you would be wrong.

Likes symbolipoint
robertya1027 said:

I cannot see myself doing a PhD​

Then don't. Most people don't do a PhD. If you don't get a PhD, you will have a lot of company.

Likes PeroK and Orodruin
Define ”OK”. It depends on what your aim is here. Obviously, not everyone does a PhD after a master and they generally get jobs. However, if your aim is to stay in academia, then a PhD would be a requirement to land most if not all jobs.

Either way, if you believe it would be too stressful for you to the point of affecting your mental health status, then doing a PhD is probably a bad idea. There is indeed quite a high incidence of mental health issues among PhD students.

If you feel your mental health is in danger, then you should contact a professional.

Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman
Orodruin said:
Define ”OK”. It depends on what your aim is here. Obviously, not everyone does a PhD after a master and they generally get jobs. However, if your aim is to stay in academia, then a PhD would be a requirement to land most if not all jobs.

Either way, if you believe it would be too stressful for you to the point of affecting your mental health status, then doing a PhD is probably a bad idea. There is indeed quite a high incidence of mental health issues among PhD students.

If you feel your mental health is in danger, then you should contact a professional.
What about industry?

Likes PhDeezNutz
robertya1027 said:
What about industry?
Most industry jobs do not require a PhD and even if you do get into a company that values your PhD, it is most often better for your carreer to start working on your carreer rather than doing the PhD (as in, in the time you would have taken todo the PhD you will instead spend on advancing your carreer in the company and end up further along than the PhD will let you).

Likes PhDeezNutz, CalcNerd and robertya1027
It's far better for everyone to figure out early that a PhD is not for you. You'd much rather not start in the first place than spend several years floundering, stressed, and miserable only to come to the same conclusion.

Of course, I get the apprehension. There's a lot of pressure, even if it's only from the sunken cost effect. You've invested so much time already (assuming you're on track to complete an MSc) that it feels as though you'd be giving up on everything you've already done. You can also feel pressure from family, friends, partners, etc. because they've helped you get to where you are and opting not to do a PhD would feel like giving up on them.

The trick, really, is figuring out what you next step is. So a PhD is not for you. Alright. Good choice. But what IS right for you? Or at least, what options are you excited about exploring? Do you want to take that STEM foundation and translate that into a lucrative career in data science? Is teaching your thing? Maybe you really enjoyed your time in your campus machine shop and now want a career in 3D printing and device fabrication. You might not know what this is right away either. But it's important to have a plan for figuring that out.

Likes PhDeezNutz, berkeman, phinds and 1 other person
robertya1027 said:
What about industry?
What country (a) are you now studying in, (b) do you plan to work in, and (c) are you a citizen of?

robertya1027 said:
I posted a lot of times on reddit, because I don't think I can survive a PhD

@robertya1027 , I took a brief look at your Reddit posts (posted under the username u/throwRA50950), and I could surmise a few things from your post:

1. You come from a wealthy (or at least well-off) family (since according to one of your posts, your parents are giving you $80000-$100000 each year, ostensibly for your undergraduate studies).

2. In your own words, your GPA "isn't too good, but still acceptable (3.xx GPA)"

3. Almost graduating university (I'm assuming you are graduating from an American university, since you make references to GPA).

4. You are interested in working in software development/programming as a career strategy.

Am I wrong about my summary above? And is there any other information you want to share? Because any additional information will help us on PF give you better advice.

StatGuy2000 said:
@robertya1027 , I took a brief look at your Reddit posts (posted under the username u/throwRA50950), and I could surmise a few things from your post:

1. You come from a wealthy (or at least well-off) family (since according to one of your posts, your parents are giving you $80000-$100000 each year, ostensibly for your undergraduate studies).

2. In your own words, your GPA "isn't too good, but still acceptable (3.xx GPA)"

3. Almost graduating university (I'm assuming you are graduating from an American university, since you make references to GPA).

4. You are interested in working in software development/programming as a career strategy.

Am I wrong about my summary above? And is there any other information you want to share? Because any additional information will help us on PF give you better advice.
1. I don't want to do a PhD because it's too stressful
2. I don't NEEED a PhD anyways

robertya1027 said:
Then why are you even stressing out about it and asking strangers for advice? Just don't get a PhD !

Likes Vanadium 50 and phyzguy
robertya1027 said:
1641483593413.png

Likes StatGuy2000 and berkeman
robertya1027 said:
@robertya1027, I don't understand why you are posting here at all. No one told you that you need to do a PhD. It's your choice what you need to do.

You wrote in post #3:

"Is it OK to get a MS without a PhD (in physics), I feel a little bad about myself for not doing a PhD but I don't think I have the mental capacity to do one anyways"

So do you want my opinion about your quote? Because here goes:

1. It is OK to get a MS in physics, or in any other field, but this depends on what you want to do career-wise. I don't think a MS in physics will be all that useful for a career in software development (which, based on your posts on Reddit, is what you are interested in). IMO, a MS in computer science may be more useful for you if software development is what you want to do.

2. Back to #1 -- are you actually interested in software development? What kinds of jobs or careers are you interested in? This is important, as this should inform you on what next steps you should take in terms of your education or training.

And Harry Callahan says,

Likes Vanadium 50 and phinds
StatGuy2000 said:
1. It is OK to get a MS in physics, or in any other field, but this depends on what you want to do career-wise. I don't think a MS in physics will be all that useful for a career in software development (which, based on your posts on Reddit, is what you are interested in). IMO, a MS in computer science may be more useful for you if software development is what you want to do.

If he wants to do software development, I'd suggest cutting his losses and abandoning the MS altogether. Instead of switching to MS in CS and playing catch up, focus on learning actual software development via programming courses or on his own.

1. Why can't you see yourself doing a PhD?

I cannot see myself doing a PhD because I do not have a strong interest or passion in a specific research topic that I would want to dedicate several years of my life to.

2. Is a PhD necessary for a successful career in science?

No, a PhD is not necessary for a successful career in science. While it may open up certain opportunities, there are many successful scientists who do not have a PhD.

3. Can you still work in a research setting without a PhD?

Yes, there are many research positions that do not require a PhD. These positions may involve working as a research assistant or technician, or in a support role within a research team.

4. Are there alternative paths to pursuing a career in science without a PhD?

Yes, there are alternative paths such as obtaining a master's degree, gaining work experience in a relevant field, or pursuing a career in science communication or policy.

5. Will not having a PhD limit your career advancement in science?

It may limit certain opportunities, but there are still many avenues for career advancement without a PhD. Success in science is not solely determined by having a PhD, but also by skills, experience, and determination.