I cant understand some terminology

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, the conversation discusses a transformation T and its application on vectors (1,2) and (3,4). It is mentioned that these two vectors are linearly independent and form a basis of R2, and that (3,4) spans the image of T. It is also stated that the dimension of imT is 1 and the dimension of kerT is 1, making the transformation singular. Lastly, the concept of spanning an image is clarified as being able to represent any element in ImT as a multiple of (3,4) using real numbers.
transgalactic
"T(1,2)=(3,4)
T(T(1,2))=T(3,4)=(3,4)

(1,2) and (3,4) are linearly independant and form a basis of R2, so (3,4) spans ImT. Therefore dim(imT)=1, and obviously dim(kerT)=1, so the transformation is singular."

this is a solution to some problem
i can't understand what is "spans an image"
i got
T(1,2)=(3,4)
and
T(3,4)=(3,4)

i know that the image is the resolt of putting the vector in the transformation

but what meens

"(3,4) spans ImT"
??

Physics news on Phys.org
That it spans the image of T means that any element in ImT can be represented as [itex]\gamma*(3,4)[/itex] for some real number [itex]\gamma[/itex]

Now, to prove this, an ARBITRARY vector in R2 can be represented as:
[tex]\vec{v}=\alpha(3,4)+\beta(1,2)[/itex] since those two are linearly independent.

Therefore using the properties of a linear transformation, we get:
[tex]T(\vec{v})=\alpha{T}(3,4)+\beta{T}(1,2)=\gamma(3,4), \gamma=\alpha+\beta[/tex]

thanks

1. What are some strategies for understanding unfamiliar scientific terminology?

One strategy is to break down the word into smaller parts and analyze their meanings. You can also look up the word in a dictionary or use online resources to find definitions and examples. Another helpful strategy is to ask a colleague or mentor for clarification.

2. How can I improve my scientific vocabulary?

Reading scientific literature and textbooks regularly can expose you to new terminology and help you understand their usage in context. Additionally, making flashcards or creating a glossary of terms can aid in memorization. Practicing using the terms in your own writing and speaking can also enhance your understanding and usage.

3. Why is it important to understand scientific terminology?

Scientific terminology is essential for effective communication and understanding in the scientific community. It allows scientists to accurately describe and discuss their research and findings, and it ensures that everyone is on the same page when discussing complex concepts and experiments.

4. What should I do if I encounter unfamiliar terminology during a presentation or lecture?

If you are in a live presentation, you can ask the speaker for clarification or make a note to look up the term later. If you are watching a recorded lecture, you can pause and take a moment to look up the term or write it down to research later. It may also be helpful to have a notebook or device handy to take notes and keep track of unfamiliar terms.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me understand scientific terminology?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as dictionaries, glossaries, and databases specifically for scientific terminology. Some popular ones include Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, the Glossary of Scientific Terms by Science Buddies, and the Genetics Home Reference Glossary by the National Library of Medicine. Many scientific journals and textbooks also offer online glossaries or have glossary sections within their publications.