Eigenvalues, linear transformations

In summary, T is a linear transformation from a vector space V to itself with dimension n and satisfies the condition T2 = T. It has eigenvalues 0 and 1. For any nonzero vector v in V, either v is in the kernel of T or Tv is an eigenvector with eigenvalue 1. T is diagonalisable with a basis of n linearly independent eigenvectors, which can be found by considering the dimensions of the kernel and image of T.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

T: V-> V, dimV = n, satisfies the condition that T2 = T

1. Show that if v [tex]\in[/tex] V \ {0} then v [tex]\in[/tex] kerT or Tv is an eigenvector for eigenvalue 1.

2. Show that T is diagonalisable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown in an earlier part of the question that the eigenvalues of T are 0 and 1.

1. Considering eigenvalue 1, we get T(v) = v, T(T(v)) = T(v), T(v) = T(v), this is true so T(v) is an eigenvector.

If v [tex]\in[/tex]kerT then we have T(v) = v, but then surely we get 0 = v which it isn't?

Also, I think I have worked back from the answer to show that these work, rather than showing that these are the only possible eigenvectors satisfying T(v) = v.

2. Suppose I have shown the 1st part correctly.
dim(kerT) +dim(Tv) = dim(kerT) + dim (imT) = dimV
So we have n linearly independent eigenvectors which means T is diagonal. I'm not so sure about this claim.

Physics news on Phys.org
If v is in ker(T) the T(v)=0*v. Yes, it's an eigenvector. The means every vector in ker(T) is an eigenvector and you've just shown every vector in im(T) is also an eigenvector. As you've said the sum of their dimensions is n. So, right, you wouldn't have any problems finding a basis of eigenvectors.

Kate2010 said:

Homework Statement

T: V-> V, dimV = n, satisfies the condition that T2 = T

1. Show that if v [tex]\in[/tex] V \ {0} then v [tex]\in[/tex] kerT or Tv is an eigenvector for eigenvalue 1.

2. Show that T is diagonalisable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown in an earlier part of the question that the eigenvalues of T are 0 and 1.

1. Considering eigenvalue 1, we get T(v) = v, T(T(v)) = T(v), T(v) = T(v), this is true so T(v) is an eigenvector.
Better is the other way: if u is in the image of T, then u= T(v) for some v so T(u)= T(T(v))= T2(v)= T(v)= u. Therefore any vector in Im(T) is an eigenvector with eigenvalue 1.

If v [tex]\in[/tex]kerT then we have T(v) = v, but then surely we get 0 = v which it isn't?
No, T(v) is not equal to v. Saying that v is in the kernel of T means that T(v)= 0 which, in turn, gives T2(v)= T(T(v))= T(0)= 0. Therefore, any vector in ker(T) is an eigenvector with eigenvalue 0.

Also, I think I have worked back from the answer to show that these work, rather than showing that these are the only possible eigenvectors satisfying T(v) = v.

2. Suppose I have shown the 1st part correctly.
dim(kerT) +dim(Tv) = dim(kerT) + dim (imT) = dimV
So we have n linearly independent eigenvectors which means T is diagonal. I'm not so sure about this claim.
Yes, that is correct. Every vector in V is an eigenvector of V with eigenvalue 0 or 1.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that is correct. Every vector in V is an eigenvector of V with eigenvalue 0 or 1.

Ooops. Now that's not correct. If u is in ker(T) and v is in im(T) and u and v are nonzero, u+v is not an eigenvector of T.

So the way I have shown T is diagonalisable is incorrect?

Kate2010 said:
So the way I have shown T is diagonalisable is incorrect?

No, it's not incorrect. All you need to do is find a basis of eigenvectors. My only point was that doesn't prove ALL vectors are eigenvectors.

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra that are used to study linear transformations. Eigenvalues represent the scalars that result from a linear transformation acting on a vector, while eigenvectors represent the corresponding vectors that remain on the same line after the transformation.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated?

To calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you first need to find the characteristic polynomial of the linear transformation. Then, you can solve the polynomial to find the eigenvalues. Once the eigenvalues are found, you can plug them back into the original equation to find the corresponding eigenvectors.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they help us understand how a linear transformation affects a vector. They also allow us to simplify complicated calculations and make predictions about the behavior of a system.

4. Can eigenvalues and eigenvectors be negative?

Yes, eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be negative. Eigenvalues can be any real number, including negative numbers, while eigenvectors can have negative components. However, the absolute value of an eigenvalue represents the magnitude of the transformation, so negative eigenvalues can still provide important information about the linear transformation.

5. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors used in real-world applications?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to study the behavior of systems, make predictions about future outcomes, and analyze large datasets. For example, they are used in principal component analysis (PCA) to reduce the dimensionality of data and in image processing to compress images while preserving important information.