1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I dont get how these matrices are mulitiplied together

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    H10 =
    c1 | -s1 | 0
    s1 | c1 | 0
    0 | 0 | 1

H21 =
    c2 | -s2 | 0
    s2 | c2 | 0
    0 | 0 | 1

2. Relevant equations
    this is what i did

H10H21 =
    c1c2 -s1s2 | -c1s2 - s1c2 | 0
    s1c2 + c1s2 | -s1s2 + c1c2 | 0
    0 | 0 | 1

3. The attempt at a solution

this is the answer

H10H21 =

c1c2 | -s1s2 | 0
    s1s2 | c1c2 | 0
    0 | 0 | 1

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unless that is some other information that you have not given, your answer is correct.
    Note, by the way, that if [itex]c_1^2+ s_1^2= 1[/itex] and [itex]c_2^2+ s_2^2= 1[/itex], or if you divide each term of the matrices by that, we can interpret [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]s_1[/itex] as the cosine and sine of some angle, [itex]\theta[/itex] and can interpret [itex]c_2[/itex] and [itex]s_2[/itex] as the cosine and sine of some other angle, [itex]\phi[/itex] and so these two matrices as rotation, about the z-axis, through those angles. The product would be the combination of those two rotations, a rotation through angle [itex]\theta+ \phi[/itex] and then we have [itex]c_1c_2- s_1s_2= cos(\theta)cos(\phi)- sin(\theta)sin(\phi)= cos(\theta+ \phi)[/itex] and [itex]s_1c_1+ c_1s_2= sin(\theta)cos(\phi)+ cos(\theta)sin(\phi)= sin(\theta+ \phi)[/itex] as we should have.

(What you give as the "answer" is sometimes called the "component by component" product but it does NOT have any good algebraic properties and is very seldom used.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook