I don't get this integral at all.

• Thread starter cdux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the Professor got 1/4 as well with a shortcut of replacing all instances of y with x. His method is not related to the regular "do the integral inside first" then "do the integral outside second" routine.
cdux
How did he do that?

I follow a regular "do the integral inside first" then "do the integral outside second" after I have initially just put the '3' completely outside but he seems to get the 3 outside first in the form of 6 and then shrinking the whole of it. (?)

2AxNuSQ.png

I would normally be OK with not getting it but in this case he gets a result of 1/4 and I get 1/12 with my method.

The freakiest thing? I saw a postgraduate mathematician getting 1/12 as well. How did the Professor get 1/4?

The question did have a prerequisite of finding fx(x) (the above is from fx,y(x,y)), but I doubt it's related..

Physics news on Phys.org
cdux said:
he gets a result of 1/4 and I get 1/12 with my method.
Can't answer that without seeing your working.

Wait. Stop the Presses.

I figured it out.

I left the '3' outside and forgot to use it at all in the end (funny that the postgrad did the same).

Now I still wonder what his trick was. Does anyone know? The regular "start from the inside going outside" is confirmed now to give the same result with his shortened version.

Something tells me, he may have used the fact of equivalency of fx(x) and fy(y) (notice the 'x' and 'y' are interchangeable..

Last edited:
If you are getting "1/12" I wonder if you are not factoring out the "3" and then forgetting to multiply it again?
(Okay, you say that's what you did.)

I was also, at first, puzzled by the change from the first integral to the second. Surely "[itex]3xy(x+ y- x^2- y^2[/itex]" is NOT the same as [itex]6 xy(x- x^2)[/itex]. But you can use a form of "symmetry". we can write [itex]x+ y- x^2- y^2[/itex] as [itex]x- x^2+ y- y^2[/itex] and then recognize that, since the integrand is symmetric in x and y, we can use, instead, [itex]x- x^+ x- x^2= 2(x- x^2)[/itex].

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
If you are getting "1/12" I wonder if you are not factoring out the "3" and then forgetting to multiply it again?

I was also, at first, puzzled by the change from the first integral to the second. Surely "[itex]3xy(x+ y- x^2- y^2[/itex]" is NOT the same as [itex]6 xy(x- x^2)[/itex]. But you can use a form of "symmetry". we can write [itex]x+ y- x^2- y^2[/itex] as [itex]x- x^2+ y- y^2[/itex] and then recognize that, since the integrand is symmetric in x and y, we can use, instead, [itex]x- x^+ x- x^2= 2(x- x^2)[/itex].

Thanks. That should point me to the right direction if I choose to search for it in depth.

And yes, I did make a mistake of forgetting to use the '3' at all in the end.

Wait a second. If I understand this correctly, was it only a matter of replacing all instances of y with x (after noticing the symmetry)?

In that case is 6IntegralIntegral(x^3-x^4)dxdx just 6Integral(x^2-x^3)dx?

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
\int_0^1\int_0^1\,3xy(x+y-x^2-y^2)\,dx\,dy
=&\phantom{+}\int_0^1\int_0^1\,3xy(x-x^2)\,dx\,dy \\
&+\int_0^1\int_0^1\,3xy(y-y^2)\,dx\,dy \\[8pt]
=&\phantom{+}
\int_0^1\int_0^1\,3xy(x-x^2)\,dx\,dy \\
&+ \int_0^1\int_0^1\,3xy(y-y^2)\,dy\,dx\qquad\text{change order} \\[8pt]
=&\phantom{+}
\int_0^1\int_0^1\,3xy(x-x^2)\,dx\,dy \\
&+ \int_0^1\int_0^1\,3xy(x-x^2)\,dx\,dy\qquad\text{rename dummy variables} \\[8pt]
=&
\int_0^1\int_0^1\,6xy(x-x^2)\,dx\,dy
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Is that a proof? Because the shortcut of just replacing all 'y's with 'x's seems to work arithmetically.

cdux said:
Is that a proof? Because the shortcut of just replacing all 'y's with 'x's seems to work arithmetically.
When is that ever valid? Certainly not here! When this replacement happens to yield the correct result, it's just luck.

I could have bypassed the middle two steps by saying that ##\int_0^1\int_0^1 3xy(x-x^2)\,dx\,dy## and ##\int_0^1\int_0^1 3xy(y-y^2)\,dx\,dy## are obviously equal to one another. (Beware the mathematician who uses the word "obviously".) I added those middle two steps to explicitly show this equality.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve, or the accumulation of quantities over a given interval.

2. Why is it important to understand integrals?

Integrals are essential in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to solve real-world problems by finding the total amount or rate of change of a quantity.

3. How do I solve an integral?

There are several methods for solving integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and practice regularly to become proficient in solving integrals.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with integrals?

Some common mistakes when working with integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making algebraic errors, and not properly changing the limits of integration when using substitution.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integrals?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of integrals. Work through a variety of problems and seek help when needed. Additionally, understanding the concepts and techniques behind integrals, rather than just memorizing formulas, will greatly enhance your understanding.