I don't know what to do in this problem

• Thread starter elton_fan
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that the sprinter has no way to calculate their acceleration, so they are unable to solve for the x_a quantity.
elton_fan
the problem is
a sprinter accelerates from rest to a top speed with an acceleration whose magnitude is 3.8 m/s². after achieving top speed . he runs the remainder of the race without speeding up or slowing down. the total race is 50 meters long. if the total race is run in 7.88s how far does he run during acceleration phase.

the problem is all the equations that i have found are composed of two unknowns so i couldn't solve the problem please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is change in velocity correct?

Once he achieves top speed and doesn't speed up or slow down. What happens to his acceleration or what is it?

Please type out all your knowns and unknowns, and an idea of how you would solve it or what you would be solving for. After that, we can help you further =).

Lets call the distance he covers during acceleration [tex]x_a[/tex] and the distance he covers with no acceleration (at top speed) [tex]x_t[/tex]. then we have that

[tex]x_a + x_t = 50 m[/tex]

the same approach with time:

[tex]t_a + t_t = 7.88 s[/tex]

Use your kinematic equations to solve for [tex]x_a[/tex].

Can you set up equations for [tex]x_a[/tex] and [tex]x_t[/tex]?

The x (final) you are solving for will be (50 - x) correct? Since he's running an x amount from 50. Essentially just using algebra for your xa + xt = 50 m. And your t for the interval will be t = 7.88 - t. Correct? However, you have to think what is relevant and what isn't =).

I will give you the equations, but you tell me what you would use and how you would kind of use them.

Remember, look at your knowns and unknowns and pick a good one that suits your situation =).

v = vo + at
x = xo + vot + 1/2at^2
v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(x - xo)

Last edited:
To avoid confusion I used subscripts [tex]a[/tex] to indicate a kinematic quantity that associates with the part where the athlete accelerates and [tex]t[/tex] for the part where he/she runs at top speed.

1. What should I do if I don't know how to approach a problem?

First, take a deep breath and don't panic. Next, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Look for patterns or similarities between the problem and ones you have solved before. If you're still stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help from a classmate or teacher.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice, practice, practice! The more problems you solve, the better you will become at identifying patterns and applying different strategies. You can also try working on problems with a study group or seeking out additional resources, such as online tutorials or books, to gain new perspectives on problem-solving.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a problem?

If you find yourself getting stuck on a problem, take a step back and try approaching it from a different angle. You can also try working on a different problem for a while and then coming back to the original one with fresh eyes. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

4. How can I stay motivated when I don't know what to do in a problem?

It can be frustrating when you don't know how to approach a problem, but try to stay positive and don't give up. Remind yourself of your past successes and the progress you have made. You can also try setting smaller, achievable goals for yourself to keep yourself motivated and on track.

5. Are there any general problem-solving tips I should keep in mind?

Yes! When approaching a problem, make sure to read and understand all the given information. Take your time and don't rush to find a solution. Use diagrams, charts, or other visual aids to help you understand the problem. And most importantly, don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.