I don't understand <u|A|v> notation

• Thread starter JPMPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the Born rule states that the expected value of an observable A is the product of the state vector and the operator A. The bra-ket notation allows for the representation of linear operators on bras, and the Riesz representation theorem states that these operators are Hermitian.
JPMPhysics
u and v are vector or whatever in that base, and A is an operator. What does <u|A|v> mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
JPMPhysics said:
u and v are vector or whatever in that base, and A is an operator. What does <u|A|v> mean?
Which QM textbook are you using?

JPMPhysics said:

It means <u|A|v> = (<u|A)|v> = <u(|A|v>) = <v|A|u> - the last is true because A is Hermitian.

For so called pure states, its an axiom of QM, called the Born rule, that the expected value of the obsevable A, E(A) is <u|A|v>. In fact its a special case of the full Born Rule E(A) = Trace (PA) where P is any state, not just a pure one.

If the above doesn't make much sense, then, as Strangerep says, we need to know exactly the textbook you are using so the answer can be pitched at whatever background it provides. What I said above is at the level of Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development, which is a more advanced graduate level text. Beginning textbooks may, for example, not make a distinction between pure and non pure states.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I'm using Griffiths textbook.

bhobba said:
It means <u|A|v> = (<u|A)|v> = <u(|A|v>) = <v|A|u> - the last is true because A is Hermitian.

For so called pure states, its an axiom of QM, called the Born rule, that the expected value of the obsevable A, E(A) is <u|A|v>. In fact its a special case of the full Born Rule E(A) = Trace (PA) where P is any state, not just a pure one.

If the above doesn't make much sense, then, as Strangerep says, we need to know exactly the textbook you are using so the answer can be pitched at whatever background it provides. What I said above is at the level of Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development, which is a more advanced graduate level text. Beginning textbooks may, for example, not make a distinction between pure and non pure states.

Thanks
Bill

Don't you mean <u|(A|v>)? The | before the (?

JPMPhysics said:
I'm using Griffiths textbook. Don't you mean <u|(A|v>)? The | before the (?

Sorry - yes I mean <u|(A|v>)

Well in chapter 3 Griffiths explains the Bra-Ket notation so you should understand it.

Wikipedia explains it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra–ket_notation

But in case you find difficulty with those presentations here is my take.

Vectors are written as |a> called kets. Given a vector space you have the set of linear functions mapping to complex numbers defined on those vectors (called functionals). Formally they also form a vector space called its dual. They are called bras and are written as <b|. Since bras are linear functions defined on kets you have <b|a>, which is the linear function <b| acting on |a>, called a Bra-Ket (British for bracket :biggrin:).

Now there is this nifty theorem, called the Riesz Representation Theorem, that shows the bras and kets can be put into one to one correspondence such that <a|b> = complex conjugate <b|a>, and this correspondence is generally assumed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesz_representation_theorem

If A is a linear operator mapping kets to kets A|a> is also a ket. But since A|a> is a ket it can be acted on by a bra to give <b|A|a>. But this can be viewed as a linear functional defined on |a>. Hence <b|A is a bra and defines how linear operators act on bras. Thus by definition (<u|A)|v> = <u|(A|v>) as I posted previously and mucked up. The ket corresponding to the bra <a|A defines a linear operator on |a> called its Hermitian Conjugate A* so this ket is A*|a>. So we have <a|A|b> = conjugate <b|A*|a>. Operators such that A=A* are called Hermitian and by definition observables in QM are Hermitian.

This is the why of the equations I posted before.

Hopefully that helps, because there isn't really much more to be said.

Thanks
Bill

FAQ: I don't understand <u|A|v> notation

1. What does the notation represent?

The notation is used in quantum mechanics to represent a quantum state, where and are two different states and is the operator that acts on these states.

2. How is notation different from other notations used in quantum mechanics?

Unlike other notations, notation specifically represents the expectation value of the operator for the state to the state . This allows for the calculation of probabilities and other important quantities in quantum mechanics.

3. Can you give an example of how notation is used in quantum mechanics?

Sure, let's say we have a quantum state that represents an electron's spin being up, and a state that represents the electron's spin being down. The notation would then represent the expectation value of some operator on this spin state, such as the angular momentum operator.

4. How do you calculate the expectation value using notation?

The expectation value, denoted as , is calculated by taking the inner product of the state and the state , and then multiplying it by the operator . This can be represented as = * .

5. Why is notation important in quantum mechanics?

notation allows for the calculation of important quantities and probabilities in quantum mechanics, such as the expectation value and transition probabilities. It also helps to simplify and standardize the representation of quantum states and their operators.