I feel like such an idiot (Help please with unit conversions)

• Thread starter APAlex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to do unit conversions and is freaking out. They have a few conversions memorized, but they are not confident in their ability to do more. They suggest looking at wikipedia for more conversions, or using a scientific calculator to do conversions.
APAlex

Homework Statement

How am I supposed to know my unit conversions? like for example 1 pound is equal to 453.592 grams I don't know how people do it, it's like they have it all memorized in their head I can't think of a way for me to be able to memorize any of it or know it am I supposed to do something?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
APAlex said:
they have it all memorized
Yes. Drill. Mind-numbing repetition of "the alphabet song." There are no pills --- that's still in the realm of sci-fi.

APAlex said:

Homework Statement

How am I supposed to know my unit conversions? like for example 1 pound is equal to 453.592 grams I don't know how people do it, it's like they have it all memorized in their head I can't think of a way for me to be able to memorize any of it or know it am I supposed to do something?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to the PF.

I have added some extra words to your thread title for you -- the title should reflect the question being asked in the thread. :smile:

As to your question, I know that a kilogram is about 2.2 pounds, but that's about as accurate as that conversion gets for me. I also know that an inch is 2.54cm, but I use that a lot in measuring things. There will just be some things that you do a lot where it's handy to memorize a few conversions (just like you will memorize some constants to a few decimal places, like pi, and c, and g, etc.). Where are you in your schooling right now?

Dude I'm in college that's why I'm freaking out

Is there anywhere I can look at all the conversions or such so I can memorize this

Got a CRC Hndbk?

APAlex said:
Is there anywhere I can look at all the conversions or such so I can memorize this

Maybe wikipedia has a page on unit conversions... But just memorize the ones you will be using. It's a lot easier to memorize stuff that you use over and over...

Thanks guys I'm going to go cry myself in a corner while I read these conversions over and over

Yoiks, I just looked at the wikipedia page, and it definitely has *Way* too many units to go through. Did you know "bucket" is an official unit of volume...? :rolleyes:

berkeman said:
Yoiks, I just looked at the wikipedia page, and it definitely has *Way* too many units to go through. Did you know "bucket" is an official unit of volume...? :rolleyes:
And then there are furlongs per fortnight, and the number of electrons in a pint -- all kinds of cool conversions.:oldtongue:

Guys I need you to keep my brain from spilling.

LOL

Well, I know that feeling when the given quantity is in kilometers per hour and the result is required in feet per second! Anyway, you should work conversion problems as much as you can to get familiar with the conversions techniques.

* Hmm ... by the way you have a scientific calculator, don't you? ; )

G.P.

GoodPost said:
Well, I know that feeling when the given quantity is in kilometers per hour and the result is required in feet per second!

Just remember to use the trick to multiply by "1" for each unit conversion. Define your "1" so that you can cancel units to get to the final units you want.

For example, I want to convert 100km/hr into ft/s:

[tex]100\frac{km}{hr} * \frac{1hr}{3600s} * \frac{3280ft}{km} = 91\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

Likes GoodPost
berkeman said:
Just remember to use the trick to multiply by "1" for each unit conversion. Define your "1" so that you can cancel units to get to the final units you want.

For example, I want to convert 100km/hr into ft/s:

[tex]100\frac{km}{hr} * \frac{1hr}{3600s} * \frac{3280ft}{km} = 91\frac{ft}{s}[/tex]

Wow great here we go, I normally do conversions in two steps but this looks pretty simple and straightforward.
Plus I'd like to add,
1 km = 1,000 m === (convert it into ft by the calculator ) 3280 !

Thanks,

G.P.

1. Why is unit conversion important in science?

Unit conversion is important in science because it allows scientists to compare and analyze data from different sources. It ensures that all measurements are consistent and accurate, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions based on the data.

2. How do I convert between different units?

To convert between different units, you need to know the conversion factor, which is the number that relates the two units. You can find conversion factors in conversion tables or by using conversion formulas. Simply multiply the number you want to convert by the conversion factor to get the equivalent value in the desired unit.

3. What are common conversion factors used in science?

Some common conversion factors used in science include: 1 meter = 100 centimeters, 1 kilogram = 1000 grams, 1 liter = 1000 milliliters, and 1 hour = 60 minutes. It is important to always check for the correct conversion factor and units to ensure accuracy in your calculations.

4. What are the most common mistakes made when converting units?

Some common mistakes made when converting units include using the wrong conversion factor, forgetting to convert units in both the numerator and denominator of a fraction, and performing incorrect mathematical operations. It is important to double check your work and use reliable sources for conversion factors.

5. Can I use unit conversion calculators for my conversions?

While unit conversion calculators can be convenient, it is important to understand the conversion process and not rely solely on calculators. It is also important to ensure that the conversion calculator is using the correct conversion factor and units. It is always recommended to double check your calculations by hand to ensure accuracy.