Is Censorship Necessary in TV Movie Broadcasts?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary, the movie Matrix on TBS has a line where Mouse says "Jesus Christ! He's fast" but on TBS he says "Judas Priest! He's fast". However, the censoring of the word "****" by the network loses effect. The only show worth watching on TBS is Home Improvement.
tribdog
I'm sitting here watching Matrix on TBS. There is a line in the movie where Mouse says, "Jesus Christ! He's fast" but on TBS he says "Judas Priest! He's fast"
Is this really necessary?

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
I'm sitting here watching Matrix on TBS. There is a line in the movie where Mouse says, "Jesus Christ! He's fast" but on TBS he says "Judas Priest! He's fast"

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thou shalt not use the Lord thy God's name in vain...

But use the name of them thar evil traitors all you like!

JUDAS PRIEST!

This is pretty good ... :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: ... I've sometimes even thought that people doing the censoring might own a set of brains ... glad you proved me wrong ...

TBS is really pushing it. I don't understand how one can take a word like "****" out of a screenplay, when it belongs to be in the screenplay. All it does is lose effect.

I really don't understand that one, but then censors rarely make any sense. I can't recall what the exact story or word was, but I remember someone being interviewed on the tonight show who said the censors told them to change a word on a show, something like, they couldn't use one slang term for penis, but were allowed to use an alternative slang term...when he said the word they were allowed to use, I thought it was too funny that the one they weren't allowed to use actually sounded more ambiguous to me.

I'm not sure the censoring helps anyway. When I was a kid, I remember watching some show where they did some bleeping...I would try to guess what they were saying...you'd hear f(beep), and I'd wonder if there was an even worse f-word than f*ck since all the kids already knew the word f*ck, so there must be an even worse word if the kids aren't allowed to hear it. Those were usually the questions my parents answered with, "We'll tell you when you're older." See, all the bleeping did was make me more curious to learn what the bleeped word was.

tribdog said:

Would you prefer to exclaim the name of a (fictional) character or a truly rockin' 80's metal band?

i hate censorship also, it takes away from the experience on the film, i find TBS to be the wort at this, something like darn would be substituted darm, now I'm exagerating but its really getting bad

Wait, wait, TRibdog. Why were you watching the Matrix, of all movies, on TBS, the channel who's motto is 'very funny'?

By the way, Star Wars Episode VI totally OWNS all of the Matrix movies (don't get me wrong, the MAtrix rules); you just can't beat a movie who's main line is "Now I am the master", spoken by one of the most famous villans in history.

The only show worth watching on TBS is Home Improvement.

Moonbear said:
I'm not sure the censoring helps anyway. When I was a kid, I remember watching some show where they did some bleeping...I would try to guess what they were saying...you'd hear f(beep), and I'd wonder if there was an even worse f-word than f*ck since all the kids already knew the word f*ck, so there must be an even worse word if the kids aren't allowed to hear it. Those were usually the questions my parents answered with, "We'll tell you when you're older." See, all the bleeping did was make me more curious to learn what the bleeped word was.

:smile: Even kids from my country know the f-word from a very young age. There really is no point in bleeping the word for TV when most school tables have the f-word carved into them. The authorities have to realize that most people are able lip-read.

Interestingly, the Malay equivalent of the f-word (according to an online dictionary), 'celaka', is taught at Bruneian schools.

Interesting. TBS, isn't that the same network that bought and colorized all the classic black and white movies?

OOOOOOO! you said celaka!
I'm tellin'!

I hate TBS! But I ALWAYS watch it. there always seems to be a movie on that I want to watch. Half way through I am kicking myself because I have to watch 8 minute comercials containing those 3 TBS @$$holes make a 3 course meal.

You know, you don't actually have to watch those commercials, don't you? :wink: The thing I don't like about watching movies on stations w/o commercial breaks is there's no chance to get up and get a snack or use the bathroom without missing something, so 8 min commercials don't seem so bad from that perspective. That's about how long it takes me to pop popcorn (I don't like the microwave kind).

I've a bad habit of revising my schoolbooks in the living room with the TV switched on. Commercial breaks are the only time when I assimilate information from the books. I actually think that teachers invented it.

manzaloros said:
Wait, wait, TRibdog. Why were you watching the Matrix, of all movies, on TBS, the channel who's motto is 'very funny'?

By the way, Star Wars Episode VI totally OWNS all of the Matrix movies (don't get me wrong, the MAtrix rules); you just can't beat a movie who's main line is "Now I am the master", spoken by one of the most famous villans in history.

The only show worth watching on TBS is Home Improvement.

Doesn't he say that in Episode IV to Obi-wan not, episode VI?

Its is a kick-ass line though.

FAQ: Is Censorship Necessary in TV Movie Broadcasts?

What is censorship?

Censorship is the suppression or prohibition of speech, writing, or other forms of expression deemed to be offensive, harmful, or sensitive by those in positions of power or authority.

Why do people hate censorship?

People may hate censorship because it limits their freedom of speech and expression, and can prevent them from sharing their ideas and opinions openly. It can also be seen as a form of control and oppression.

What are the different types of censorship?

There are several types of censorship, including government censorship, media censorship, self-censorship, and corporate censorship. Government censorship involves the suppression of information by the state, while media censorship refers to the control of information by media organizations. Self-censorship is when individuals censor themselves out of fear of backlash or punishment, and corporate censorship is when companies restrict the content shared by their employees or customers.

How does censorship affect society?

Censorship can have both positive and negative effects on society. On one hand, it can protect individuals from harmful or offensive material and maintain social order. On the other hand, it can limit the diversity of ideas and prevent important discussions and debates from taking place.

How can we fight against censorship?

There are several ways to fight against censorship, such as advocating for freedom of speech and expression, supporting independent and diverse media sources, and staying informed about censorship issues. Additionally, individuals can also support organizations that work to protect free speech and challenge censorship laws and practices.