Choosing Between Math and Physics: A Crossroads for a BS in Pure Math

In summary, the speaker is at a crossroads between pursuing mathematical physics or theoretical physics for their thesis. They have a background in pure math and are currently in a masters program for statistics. They are seeking advice and guidance on how to make their decision, considering factors such as their love for proofs and their interest in making new conjectures about the cutting edge of reality.
RareNoesis
I am at a crossroads.

I have a BS in pure math and I am in a masters in stats. Not sure what to do my thesis on yet.

The tear is between continuing with math and going into mathematical physics or crossing over to theoretical physics. I have a good idea what both are, but have never done research in either because I have not learned enough yet. But soon, real soon, I need to decided which path to walk.

If I choose one or the other I'm sure I'll try to stay in the middle of the subjects. I love proofs, a lot, and love doing them, but I love physics and I would like to be able to make new conjectures about the cutting edge of reality.

Has anyone every been here before?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you decide? What did you consider? What would you do differently? Any advice? Anything would be helpful.

FAQ: Choosing Between Math and Physics: A Crossroads for a BS in Pure Math

1. What career options are available with a BS in pure math?

With a BS in pure math, you can pursue a career in various fields such as data analysis, actuarial science, research, education, and finance. You can also work as a mathematician, statistician, or data scientist.

2. Is a BS in pure math a valuable degree?

Yes, a BS in pure math is a highly valuable degree. It develops critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly sought after in many industries. It also opens up numerous career opportunities and can lead to a high-paying job.

3. Do I need a graduate degree after obtaining a BS in pure math?

It depends on your career goals and the field you want to work in. Some jobs may require a graduate degree, while others may not. Pursuing a graduate degree can also enhance your knowledge and skills and make you more competitive in the job market.

4. How difficult is it to obtain a BS in pure math?

A BS in pure math can be challenging, as it involves advanced mathematical concepts and theories. However, with dedication, hard work, and good study habits, it is achievable. Seeking help from professors and peers can also make the journey easier.

5. Can I switch to a different major after obtaining a BS in pure math?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different major after obtaining a BS in pure math. Many of the skills and knowledge gained from studying pure math can be applied to other fields. However, it may require additional coursework or training in the new field.