How Does Partial Differentiation Affect This Summation Function?

• Thread starter vaibhavtewari
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a function with a summation and the possibility of using partial differentiation with respect to one value to solve for a constant. The speaker also mentions solving simultaneous equations and hoping for a structured approach.
vaibhavtewari
I have a function

[itex] \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{N-1}\left(x_n-\sum_{i=0}^{L-1}a_iS_{i+n}\right)^2[/itex]

if I do a partial differentiation with respect to [itex]S_k[/itex] what would I get ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Will it help you if I note that you can write it as
[tex]\sum_{n = 0}^{N - 1} (C - a_{k - n} S_k)^2[/tex]
where C is a constant with respect to Sk.

variable S_k is not a constant, so there are basically N+L variables...thanks for trying

I assume that you only differentiate with respect to one value of k at the time?

that is true but then I solve these simultaneous equations...so I was hoping for something structured..

Related to How Does Partial Differentiation Affect This Summation Function?

What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two quantities, where each input value (also known as the independent variable) has a corresponding output value (also known as the dependent variable). It can be represented as an equation, table, or graph.

What does "I have a function" mean?

It means that you have an equation or expression that represents a relationship between two quantities. By plugging in different values for the input variable, you can determine the corresponding output values.

How do I determine if a given equation is a function?

To determine if an equation is a function, you can use the vertical line test. If a vertical line can be drawn through the graph of the equation and only touches it at one point, then it is a function. If the vertical line touches the graph at more than one point, then the equation is not a function.

What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear function?

A linear function has a constant rate of change and can be represented as a straight line on a graph. A nonlinear function, on the other hand, does not have a constant rate of change and cannot be represented as a straight line on a graph. Nonlinear functions can take on various shapes, such as curves or zig-zags.

How are functions used in real life?

Functions are used in various real-life applications, such as calculating distance traveled, determining interest rates, and predicting population growth. They are also used in fields like physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world situations.