Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a question about normalization of data

1. Dec 14, 2013 #1
    Hello, please help me with this problem. The question is in the picture (LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT). I don't know how to normzalize the data. How to know which method should be used? I need two methods of normalization here. HELP! Please teach me in detail. You don't have to give me the comprehensive evaluation (final answer) because what I don't understand is the normalization process.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey MissP.25_5.

You need to provide a bit more context. Normalization has many meanings depending on how and why something is normalized.

If its statistical, then you would normalize your data by calculating Z = (X - mu)/sigma which gives your distribution a mean of 0 and a variance of 1.

Again, you have to answer what you are trying to do and what question you are trying to answer.

4. Dec 14, 2013 #3
    I am guessing you didn't read my question because the question is in the attachment.

5. Dec 14, 2013 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

I have the read question and it doesn't provide enough information on what kind of normalization and why you should use that normalization. It is too vague for someone not familiar with your problem or field.

You should explain what the analytic hierarchy method is as well.

6. Dec 15, 2013 #5
    It only says any 2 methods that are suitable. I don't what is suitable.

7. Dec 15, 2013 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Can you name the methods for us?

8. Dec 15, 2013 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Apparently this is not a question about standard mathematics, but rather one about the "Analytic Heirarchy Process". (What to call such a things? Other example: "PERT", "Lean six sigma". I suppose they are "management techniques".) Perhaps the "normalization" has to do with assigning the weights mentioned on http://mat.gsia.cmu.edu/classes/mstc/multiple/node4.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook