I have a question about normalization of data

In summary, the question is asking for two methods of normalization, and the person doesn't know what the analytic hierarchy method is.
MissP.25_5
Hello, please help me with this problem. The question is in the picture (LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT). I don't know how to normzalize the data. How to know which method should be used? I need two methods of normalization here. HELP! Please teach me in detail. You don't have to give me the comprehensive evaluation (final answer) because what I don't understand is the normalization process.

Attachments

• IMG_5460.JPG
    IMG_5460.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey MissP.25_5.

You need to provide a bit more context. Normalization has many meanings depending on how and why something is normalized.

If its statistical, then you would normalize your data by calculating Z = (X - mu)/sigma which gives your distribution a mean of 0 and a variance of 1.

Again, you have to answer what you are trying to do and what question you are trying to answer.

chiro said:
Hey MissP.25_5.

You need to provide a bit more context. Normalization has many meanings depending on how and why something is normalized.

If its statistical, then you would normalize your data by calculating Z = (X - mu)/sigma which gives your distribution a mean of 0 and a variance of 1.

Again, you have to answer what you are trying to do and what question you are trying to answer.

I am guessing you didn't read my question because the question is in the attachment.

I have the read question and it doesn't provide enough information on what kind of normalization and why you should use that normalization. It is too vague for someone not familiar with your problem or field.

You should explain what the analytic hierarchy method is as well.

chiro said:
I have the read question and it doesn't provide enough information on what kind of normalization and why you should use that normalization. It is too vague for someone not familiar with your problem or field.

You should explain what the analytic hierarchy method is as well.

It only says any 2 methods that are suitable. I don't what is suitable.

Can you name the methods for us?

Apparently this is not a question about standard mathematics, but rather one about the "Analytic Heirarchy Process". (What to call such a things? Other example: "PERT", "Lean six sigma". I suppose they are "management techniques".) Perhaps the "normalization" has to do with assigning the weights mentioned on http://mat.gsia.cmu.edu/classes/mstc/multiple/node4.html

1. What is data normalization?

Data normalization is the process of organizing data in a database in a way that reduces redundancy and dependency. This helps to eliminate data anomalies and improve data integrity, making it easier to maintain and query the database.

2. Why is data normalization important?

Data normalization is important because it helps to ensure data consistency and accuracy. By reducing redundancy and dependency, it minimizes the risk of data inconsistencies and errors that can arise from duplicate or conflicting data.

3. What are the different levels of data normalization?

The most commonly used levels of data normalization are First Normal Form (1NF), Second Normal Form (2NF), and Third Normal Form (3NF). Higher levels of normalization, such as Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF) and Fourth Normal Form (4NF), are also used in certain situations.

4. How is data normalization achieved?

Data normalization is achieved by following a set of rules and guidelines, known as normal forms, that help to organize data in a database. These rules include eliminating repeating groups, ensuring every field depends on the primary key, and removing partial dependencies.

5. What are the benefits of data normalization?

Data normalization offers several benefits, such as improved data integrity, reduced data redundancy, and increased query performance. It also makes it easier to update and modify data, as well as maintain the database over time.