1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a question regarding Magnetic Fields

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    If you were to take a superheated iron ball (say a heavily scaled down version of the earths core) and set it in motion inside of a heated and ultra-pressurized plasma globe with another light hard coating ontop of it also set in motion, would that generate a magnetic field similar in shape to earths if it was done in a vacuum? I'm trying to think of something similar to this that generates a magnetic field...I kind of have the vision of a ball being kept heated by the pressure and the heat of plasma (or magma in a literal sense) with another shell outside of it keeping it all together under pressure so that the ball stays equal in the center. This is not a homework question, its just for my own curiosity about magnetic fields (shape, size, generation).

I'm fairly new to astronomy so be gentle.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2
  4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    Looks cool, thanks for the info.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook