Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a quick question about Photons

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    When an electron passes from one atom to another is a photon emitted?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2
    I don't know what you mean by passes to another atom. When an electron make a transition from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, within the atom, then it emits a photon. This photon an energy which is equal to the different of energies between the 2 levels.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    rolotomassi, electrons are exchanged between atoms during chemical processes.

No, as a general rule, photons are not necessary part of an atom-to-atom transport of an electron. The energies involved can be all just be heat energy.

5. May 28, 2015 #4
    This energy is manifest as phonons and photons.

6. May 28, 2015 #5
    Phonons aren't photons. The OP question is whether every atom-to-atom transfer involves an emitted photon. It doesn't.

7. May 28, 2015 #6

phion

Gold Member

Phonons are an emergent phenomena, kind of like a wave in a bathtub. Since an electron is being emitted, I think it would suffice to say that a photon had just been absorbed by an atom, not emitted.

8. May 28, 2015 #7
    How about that, hu? Yet you were referencing both.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. May 28, 2015 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for moderation.

10. May 29, 2015 #9

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This thread will remain closed. Hawki, if you can frame a more specific question that clearly states what physical scenario you are interested in ("electron passes from one atom to another" is too vague and general), please feel free to start a new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook