1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a quick question about Photons

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    When an electron passes from one atom to another is a photon emitted?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2
    I don't know what you mean by passes to another atom. When an electron make a transition from a higher energy level to a lower energy level, within the atom, then it emits a photon. This photon an energy which is equal to the different of energies between the 2 levels.

4. May 28, 2015 #3
    rolotomassi, electrons are exchanged between atoms during chemical processes.

No, as a general rule, photons are not necessary part of an atom-to-atom transport of an electron. The energies involved can be all just be heat energy.

5. May 28, 2015 #4
    This energy is manifest as phonons and photons.

6. May 28, 2015 #5
    Phonons aren't photons. The OP question is whether every atom-to-atom transfer involves an emitted photon. It doesn't.

7. May 28, 2015 #6

phion

Gold Member

Phonons are an emergent phenomena, kind of like a wave in a bathtub. Since an electron is being emitted, I think it would suffice to say that a photon had just been absorbed by an atom, not emitted.

8. May 28, 2015 #7
    How about that, hu? Yet you were referencing both.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. May 28, 2015 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for moderation.

10. May 29, 2015 #9

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This thread will remain closed. Hawki, if you can frame a more specific question that clearly states what physical scenario you are interested in ("electron passes from one atom to another" is too vague and general), please feel free to start a new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook