I have been spending 2 hrs on this vector problems i don't get it?

• Thread starter elpermic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the spelunker follows a path in a cave that includes 210m west, 180m at 45 degrees east of north, and 110m at 60 degrees east of south. Using a scaled drawing, it can be determined that the 4th unmeasured displacement leads the spelunker back to the starting point. To solve this problem, vector addition with components can be used.
elpermic

Homework Statement

A spelunker is surveying a cave. He follows a passage that goes 210m straight west, then 180 m in a direction 45 degrees east of north, then 110m at 60 degrees east of south. After a 4th unmeasured displacement he finds himself back where he started. Use a scaled drawing to determine the 4th displacement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the figure but still do not get it! There are 4 different lines so it can't be a triangle. I am certain I have placed both degrees right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't let the problem tell you if there are triangles in there or not. If you can't find any, make some.

Do you know how to solve vector addition problems with components (ie, making some easy right triangles out of vectors)? That's where you'll want to start.

Hello,

I understand that sometimes complex problems can be frustrating and difficult to understand. However, it is important to approach these problems with patience and perseverance. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use mathematical concepts and equations to solve each part separately.

In this particular problem, the spelunker's movements can be represented as vectors, which have both magnitude and direction. By drawing a scaled figure, you have already taken the first step in understanding the problem. Now, you can use trigonometry and vector addition to determine the fourth displacement.

First, you can break down the 180m displacement into its x and y components. The x component would be 180*cos(45) and the y component would be 180*sin(45). Similarly, the 110m displacement can be broken down into its x and y components using the given angles.

Next, you can use vector addition to add these components together. This will give you the final displacement, which should be equal to the initial displacement of 210m in the west direction. If this is not the case, then there might be a mistake in your calculations or drawing.

I hope this helps and encourages you to keep working on the problem. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to approach problems with curiosity and determination, and to never give up until you find a solution. Good luck!

1. Why am I having trouble understanding vector problems?

Vector problems can be challenging because they involve both magnitude and direction, which can be difficult to visualize. It requires a solid understanding of mathematical concepts such as trigonometry and coordinate systems.

2. How can I improve my understanding of vector problems?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding is to practice solving different types of vector problems. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and focusing on one step at a time.

3. Are there any resources that can help me with vector problems?

Yes, there are many online resources, textbooks, and study guides that can provide explanations and practice problems for vector problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or a classmate who may have a better understanding of the topic.

4. How important are vector problems in science?

Vectors are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are essential for understanding and solving problems related to motion, forces, and other physical phenomena.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems?

Some common mistakes include mixing up magnitude and direction, not using the correct mathematical formulas, and not considering the vector's direction when adding or subtracting. It is also essential to carefully draw and label diagrams to accurately represent the vectors in the problem.