1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have been spending 2 hrs on this vector problems i don't get it?

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spelunker is surveying a cave. He follows a passage that goes 210m straight west, then 180 m in a direction 45 degrees east of north, then 110m at 60 degrees east of south. After a 4th unmeasured displacement he finds himself back where he started. Use a scaled drawing to determine the 4th displacement.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew the figure but still do not get it!! There are 4 different lines so it can't be a triangle. I am certain I have placed both degrees right.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    Don't let the problem tell you if there are triangles in there or not. If you can't find any, make some.

Do you know how to solve vector addition problems with components (ie, making some easy right triangles out of vectors)? That's where you'll want to start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook