Solving Vector Problems: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the student struggled with drawing vectors of specific length and direction, initially rotating the line segment in the wrong direction. After receiving clarification, they were able to successfully solve the problem and complete similar questions.
EmmaB03

Homework Statement

:[/B]

Draw the vectors:
A.) 60 lbs at 25 degrees east of north.
B.) 40 lbs at π/3 south of west.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I've tried different things but keep getting the wrong answer. Can someone please explain how to solve these types of problems?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a graph, made 1 represent 10 lbs, 2 represent 20 lbs, etc. and drew a line to 6 (60 lbs) and then raised it to a 25 degree angle, but I keep getting the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear exactly what you did from your description. Could you perhaps provide an illustration?

EmmaB03 said:

Homework Statement

:[/B]

Draw the vectors:
A.) 60 lbs at 25 degrees east of north.
B.) 40 lbs at π/3 south of west.

Homework Equations

[/B]
I've tried different things but keep getting the wrong answer. Can someone please explain how to solve these types of problems?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a graph, made 1 represent 10 lbs, 2 represent 20 lbs, etc. and drew a line to 6 (60 lbs) and then raised it to a 25 degree angle, but I keep getting the wrong answer.

Did you draw a line segment of length 6 pointing east, then rotate it 25 degrees to the north? (That is what is sounds like, when you say "raise it to a 25 degree angle".) However, the problem requires you to draw a line of length 6 pointing north, then rotate it 25 degrees to the east (so it points 25 degrees east of north).

Ray Vickson said:
Did you draw a line segment of length 6 pointing east, then rotate it 25 degrees to the north? (That is what is sounds like, when you say "raise it to a 25 degree angle".) However, the problem requires you to draw a line of length 6 pointing north, then rotate it 25 degrees to the east (so it points 25 degrees east of north).

Yes! That's what I was doing! Thank you so much for the guidance. There were two questions like this with two parts each and I did them all right after reading your reply! Thanks again :)

Likes berkeman

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude.

How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first determine the direction and magnitude of each vector. Then, you can add the components of each vector together to get the resulting vector. This can be done using the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include temperature and time, while examples of vector quantities include velocity and force.

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar quantity that represents the projection of one vector onto another. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

How do you use vectors to solve real-world problems?

Vectors can be used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force in real-world situations. By using vector addition and subtraction, as well as other vector operations, you can solve problems involving motion, forces, and other physical phenomena.