I have been trying to create an air-core electromagnet with no luck

In summary: I don't know. The battery may have an internal resistance of just over one ohm, and you may have a current of about 7 amps. That is my best guess=in any case, the wires probably weren't designed to carry 7 amps, and the battery won't last very long if the circuit is drawing 7 amps. If the iron core is iron that readily becomes magnetized, it shouldn't... I don't know.
davenn said:
That would be a minimum and it is more to stop the coil getting too hot because of high current flow
and draining the battery(s)
The Ohms required isn't your main requirement

In post #33, @Tom.G gave you the main requirements
the physics of the coil will already contain the magnetic field reasonably well ( sort of)
putting the coil in a metal box isn't going to help concentrate the magnetic field.Only an iron core will do that
absolutely tiny ... microTesla or less
That is what I thought initially, that the outside of the magnet really doesn't matter. I noticed that only the area inside of the coil was creating a field, which is what I wanted. I have found a way to use about 1300 turns of wire will pull 7 amps. The only thing that worries me is that my current magnet was suppose draw 17 amps but i only read 6

Engineering news on Phys.org
You maximise the amp·turns by filling the largest possible winding cross-section.
If the winding is 75 mm long and 5 mm deep it has a section of 5 * 75 = 375 mm².
You can probably fill π/4 ≈ 80% of that section with round copper, the rest being insulation and air.
So the section of copper is 375 * 0.8 = 300 mm².
The ampacity of copper magnet wire is about 10 A/mm².
For a one turn winding that makes 300 * 10 = 3000 amp·turns.
It remains 3 kA·turns for a full section of any diameter copper wire.

If you know the DC voltage available you can select wire that is thin enough to limit the current by resistance, to the ampacity of that sized wire.

The attached file contains the calculations needed to evaluate different copper wire sizes.
Adjust the wire diameter to have actual current less than ampacity.

Attachments

• winding 2.bas.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Informative
Likes Merlin3189, sophiecentaur and Tom.G
Baluncore said:
ampacity.
Now that's a lovely word. It could be straight out of the lexicon of George W Bush. But it's meaning is very clear (clearer than most of Dubbya's utterances).

Here is the direct way of finding the wire diameter.
The wire_diam in mm = √ ( Cu_resistivity * Cu_ampacity * volume /voltage /100000 )
Where;
Cu_resistivity = 1.715 ' The resistivity of copper in ohms·metres·10-8.
Cu_ampacity = 10 ' The maximum current in amps per mm2 of copper.
volume = π * ( Rout2 - Rin2 ) * length ' The volume of the winding in mm3.
voltage = the DC voltage connected to the coil.

Last edited:
NathanSM said:
What is the field strenght of the coil measured in? Tesla?

The magnetic flux density is measured in Gauss or Tesla units.
I think you may need a Gauss meter.

In any case, it seems that you are working on a fairly complex and difficult engineering project, and some scientific instruments should be inevitable.

https://www.alphalabinc.com/product-category/gaussmeters/

Baluncore said:
You maximise the amp·turns by filling the largest possible winding cross-section.
If the winding is 75 mm long and 5 mm deep it has a section of 5 * 75 = 375 mm².
You can probably fill π/4 ≈ 80% of that section with round copper, the rest being insulation and air.
So the section of copper is 375 * 0.8 = 300 mm².
The ampacity of copper magnet wire is about 10 A/mm².
For a one turn winding that makes 300 * 10 = 3000 amp·turns.
It remains 3 kA·turns for a full section of any diameter copper wire.

If you know the DC voltage available you can select wire that is thin enough to limit the current by resistance, to the ampacity of that sized wire.

The attached file contains the calculations needed to evaluate different copper wire sizes.
Adjust the wire diameter to have actual current less than ampacity.
Could one of the reasons of my magnet being much weaker that projected was that it was winded poorly? The magnet made almost no force. I winded all 160 feet around a small spool and I did not do a very good job. All of the winding was clockwise but it is a little uneven. Thank you for the detailed explanation of ampacity and how I can use it.

If you scramble wind the coil, the same length of wire will have a few less turns, so the amp·turns will be slightly less. I do not think that is the real problem.

I think you need many more amp·turns, or a magnetic core.

If the former was aluminium it will act like a shorted secondary winding. You should have an insulated gap along the wall of the tube to prevent the shorted turn.
If the former was an iron tube it would greatly reduce flux through the air core because the flux would follow the iron path rather than the air path.
What material is the former?

Can you reduce the inner diameter by 1%, and so reduce the area of the former by 2%, to get a greater field density?

Baluncore said:
If you scramble wind the coil, the same length of wire will have a few less turns, so the amp·turns will be slightly less. I do not think that is the real problem.

I think you need many more amp·turns, or a magnetic core.

If the former was aluminium it will act like a shorted secondary winding. You should have an insulated gap along the wall of the tube to prevent the shorted turn.
If the former was an iron tube it would greatly reduce flux through the air core because the flux would follow the iron path rather than the air path.
What material is the former?

Can you reduce the inner diameter by 1%, and so reduce the area of the former by 2%, to get a greater field density?
The wire is wrapped around an aluminum tube. This tube has a 1/2 diameter and is hollow. Ferrous items are supposed to be able to move through this tube and be affected by the magnet, if that makes sense. If i were using an iron tube would it not just turn the entire tube into a large magnet? The force of the magnet is supposed to be concentrated in one section of the tube.

You have a long magnetic coil. You will only notice a change when the magnetic material is near the ends of the coil.

The thick aluminium tube wall is a shield that will slow any changes within the air core. The presence of ferrous material in the tube will distort the field, but that change will be delayed by the aluminium tube.
Maybe change to a plastic tube, or cut an insulating slot along the aluminium tube in the region of the coil.

We do not know what you are trying to do so it is difficult to suggest more practical alternatives to your concept.

Baluncore said:
You have a long magnetic coil. You will only notice a change when the magnetic material is near the ends of the coil.

The thick aluminium tube wall is a shield that will slow any changes within the air core. The presence of ferrous material in the tube will distort the field, but that change will be delayed by the aluminium tube.
Maybe change to a plastic tube, or cut an insulating slot along the aluminium tube in the region of the coil.

We do not know what you are trying to do so it is difficult to suggest more practical alternatives to your concept.
So are you saying that the aluminum tube is hindering the force of magnet inside the tube. As for the project imagine having a piece of metal inside the tube i want to toggle different magnets to hold the metal at different positions within the tube. I can certainly cut gashes into the tube on either end of the coil. The item only travels inside of the tube that the coil is wrapped around though.

NathanSM said:
I can certainly cut gashes into the tube on either end of the coil.
That will make no difference. You must cut the aluminium for the length of the coil and insulate the cut to make sure there is no circulating secondary current. You do not seem to understand that your coil is the primary of a transformer. The aluminium tube is a short circuited secondary of that same transformer.

NathanSM said:
The item only travels inside of the tube that the coil is wrapped around though.
So it is big and heavy to fit the tube, while the magnet is weak. Is the tube horizontal?

I see what you mean. The tube is 2 1/2' but I am only coiling around about 6' of it. Is that what is causing the issue? As for the item, consider something small like a ball bearing. Any small item about the weight of a screw or nail. The tube is horizontal, shaped like a thin PVC pipe. I thought this would not be an issue as aluminum is non-ferrous

Last edited:
NathanSM said:
I see what you mean. The tube is 2 1/2' but I am only coiling around about 6' of it.
Do you mean 6" rather than 6'?

A small ball bearing (or item) has very little volume and will quickly become saturated regardless of the strength of the coil field.

Baluncore said:
You must cut the aluminium for the length of the coil and insulate the cut to make sure there is no circulating secondary current. You do not seem to understand that your coil is the primary of a transformer. The aluminium tube is a short circuited secondary of that same transformer.
This ONLY makes a difference when the current is changing. If AC (Alternating Current, maybe from a transformer) was used, their would be a problem. With DC from a battery, the only effect is when the current is actually changing, the magnetic field would change slightly slower than if the tube was an insulator.

For these first experiments, I suggest you continue with what you have and make changes later if needed for speed or other reasons. Right now your main problem is to make a magnet strong enough to move your ball bearing.

Likes Merlin3189
Tom.G said:
This ONLY makes a difference when the current is changing. If AC (Alternating Current, maybe from a transformer) was used, their would be a problem. With DC from a battery, the only effect is when the current is actually changing, the magnetic field would change slightly slower than if the tube was an insulator.
There is an additional effect=the iron piece that is being attracted produces a changing magnetic field, so there is the possibility of Faraday EMF's in the aluminum.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
Tom.G said:

For these first experiments, I suggest you continue with what you have and make changes later if needed for speed or other reasons. Right now your main problem is to make a magnet strong enough to move your ball bearing.
That is what I thought. Today I am doubling the length of wire on the coil, so hopefully that will help.

JBA said:
Do you mean 6" rather than 6'?

A small ball bearing (or item) has very little volume and will quickly become saturated regardless of the strength of the coil field.
I did mean 6". I am not really farmiliar with saturation. Is this like a limit as to how fast I can make a ball bearing can go or with how much strenght it can be held within the field?

Charles Link said:
There is an additional effect=the iron piece that is being attracted produces a changing magnetic field, so there is the possibility of Faraday EMF's in the aluminum.
That shouldn't be too signifigant should it?

NathanSM said:
It could be very significant, particularly if the iron ball is moving fast. It might be an interesting experiment to have one aluminum tube with a slot and another without a slot and compare results. Faraday EMF's in the aluminum would have currents whose magnetic fields would be opposite the magnetic field of your coil. The slot should reduce these "eddy" currents considerably.

NathanSM said:
Try dropping a permanent magnet thru the tube. You will get an idea of how much of a problem it can be. Of course your ball bearing will not be magnetized nearly as much as the permanent magnet, but there will be some effect.

Oh, I see @Charles Link hit Send while I was still typing.

Likes Charles Link
If you attempt to control the position of balls in the tube by turning different coils on or off, then what advantage can there be in wasting energy from the battery to heat the aluminium tube every time you change the coil current?

The coil and the ball interact through the aluminium tube wall. The field of the coil will be affected by the presence of the ball. Skin effect in aluminium limits the rate of interaction. Cutting a full length slot in the aluminium, or using insulated tube will eliminate the waste of energy, and speed the interaction by a factor of close to a million, to the speed of light. The changing field conditions between coil and ball will communicate through the slot, or the wall of an insulated tube.

The insulation between transformer laminations provide a rapid path for flux to reach the magnetic material deep in the core. Likewise, the slot in an aluminium tube provides the path for the external coil to interact with the surface of an internal ball.

If a ball rolls along inside the tube it's induced magnetic polar axis will tumble, end-over-end and so induce currents in the top and bottom of the aluminium tube. That will not be reduced by a single slot cut in the wall of a conductive tube.

NathanSM said:
... The tube is 2 1/2' but I am only coiling around about 6' of it. ...
Please use the SI unit metre, m or mm. They are useful and can be understood. The fractional foot' and inch" just lead to confusion.

Baluncore said:
The insulation between transformer laminations provide a rapid path for flux to reach the magnetic material deep in the core. Likewise, the slot in an aluminium tube provides the path for the external coil to interact with the surface of an internal ball.
This, I believe, is somewhat inaccurate. The laminations and the slot block eddy currents. Upon blocking most of the eddy currents, there is very little magnetic field generated in the opposite direction. In the case of the laminated transformer, the magnetic field is that of the applied field from the current in the primary coil, ## \\ ##
[considering the case here of no current in the secondary=otherwise, the result is the primary current increases to offset the field in the opposite direction that would be caused by the secondary=see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/magnetic-flux-is-the-same-if-we-apply-the-biot-savart.927681/ especially posts 15-20=perhaps getting off on a tangent here, but it may be of interest], ## \\ ##
along with what can be considered to be (bound) magnetic surface currents in the iron that enhance the magnetic field from the primary coil by a factor of 500 or more. The laminations do not block the magnetic surface currents,(which give rise to the enhanced magnetic field), because there is no actual charge transport for these currents. The laminations do block the eddy currents from the Faraday EMF in the iron, which would generate an opposing magnetic field, if they were left unblocked. ## \\ ## With a completely DC system, there would be no need for laminations or slots, because there would be no Faraday EMF's to generate eddy currents.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
Charles Link said:
The laminations and the slot block eddy currents.
If that is all they do then why is the thickness of a lamination related to the frequency and skin effect in the lamination. The magnetic flux that enters the magnetic material does it via the insulation between the laminations. The eddy current excuse is given to pacify trainee technicians.

Baluncore said:
If that is all they do then why is the thickness of a lamination related to the frequency and skin effect in the lamination. The magnetic flux that enters the magnetic material does it via the insulation between the laminations. The eddy current excuse is given to pacify trainee technicians.
In the link that I gave above, see post 20, especially the second part. The post is by Jim Hardy, and I think he gives a very good and accurate explanation.

Reading that reference, I see we agree. It is just that you approach from the direction of eddy current reduction, while I approach from the direction of skin effect and lamination orientation.

The primary coil induces a counter current in the conductive tube (secondary), which cancels the internal field due to the coil, so significant energy is reflected back out from the tube and does not initially penetrate the air core. That reflection must be prevented by elimination of the circular current path. That is why a longitudinal slot must be cut in the conductive tube, or the tube must be made from an insulator. Do you disagree with that conclusion.

Likes Charles Link
Currently I am having an issue I do not understand. When plug the 14V battery into a length of wire with 1.6 ohms of resistance I only read 7 amps.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
NathanSM said:
Currently I am having an issue I do not understand. When plug the 14V battery into a length of wire with 1.6 ohms of resistance I only read 7 amps.
There is a voltage drop of your battery . Use a voltmeter across the terminals of the battery while the current is flowing through the circuit to see it.

Likes davenn
zoki85 said:
There is a voltage drop of your battery . Use a voltmeter across the terminals of the battery while the current is flowing through the circuit to see it.
Got not even a volt.

NathanSM said:
Got not even a volt.
Then for 1.6 ohms resistance, you should read about .7 amps of current. Did you get the decimal place correct in your current reading? Perhaps another factor is the resistance of the wire will increase if it heats up. Something is inconsistent here.

Charles Link said:
Then for 1.6 ohms resistance, you should read about .7 amps of current. Did you get the decimal place correct in your current reading? Perhaps another factor is the resistance of the wire will increase if it heats up. Something is inconsistent here.
How did you get .7 amps? I am rather confused, a lot have people said use thinner wire as my setup has too little turns/resistance. I double the amount of wire used instead. This still increases resistance and turns but I've got a weak magnet that is drawing 7 amps, and heating up.

Im beginning to believe that since doubling the wire length did not affect strength, voltage drop is the issue. I may purchase DC-DC boost converter and try to run the circuit at a much higher voltage and see how this affects the strength.

NathanSM said:
I may purchase DC-DC boost converter and try to run the circuit at a much higher voltage and see how this affects the strength.
It is easier to calculate the best solution than to buy something, then wait to find it does not seem to work. Before you go looking for another power supply you should identify all the parameters for your coil.

You know that you need to maximise the product of the current and the number of turns.
If you know the geometry and voltage you can calculate the optimum wire diameter. If you know the geometry of your coil and wire diameter, you can calculate the optimum voltage.

Likes Charles Link
You may need a power supply that is designed to deliver higher currents. (You don't necessarily need higher voltage, but simply a lower internal resistance). When you read less than one volt across a 14 volt supply, you clearly have a supply that has a much larger internal resistance than the resistance in the wires. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, when you have less than one volt, and a resistance that exceeds 1.5 ohms, a current of 7 amps is inconsistent. Perhaps it is 0.7 amps.