1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have to proof that $\lim_{x \to \c} frac{1}{f(x) = 0$

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given is: f is a function that maps D onto the Real numbers, and c is within D and it is a limit point, and f(x) =/= 0 for all x in D, and [itex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty[/itex]
    I have to proof that:
    [itex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{1}{f(x)} = 0[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This means that according to the definition I have to proof that [itex]\forall \epsilon \ \exists \delta[/itex] so that [itex] \forall x \in D \ with \ 0 < |x-c|< \delta \ \ : |\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0|< \epsilon [/itex].

Im not sure how to go on from here. Or do i have to do something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint:
    [tex]\left|\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0\right| < \epsilon[/tex]
    is equivalent to
    [tex]|f(x)| > \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3
    Would it then be enough to say that because f diverges to infinity as x approaches c, this by definition means that there must be a [itex]\delta[/itex] for which if [itex]0<|x-c|<\delta[/itex] the latter inequality that you wrote holds, which is equivalent to the former, quod erat demonstrandum?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. Dec 8, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you have to prove is what you have in the following statement .
    What will help you get there is to state what is meant by:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ .[/itex]

6. Dec 9, 2012 #5
    Well the weird thing is that in our book we hv only defined what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c. This assignment is part of the chapter on continuity where weve only defined what is meant by a limit of f as x goes to infinity. But wut i wrote should b ok since that follows from the definition right?

7. Dec 9, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you wrote is what needs to be proved.

What you need, among other things, to get there is a definition of what it means for [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ .[/itex]

You may be able to deduce this from
    what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c.​
    and from
    what it means for the limit of a function, f(x), to converge as x → c . ​

Basically, what it means for [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\,,[/itex] is that given any M > 0, (usually M is a large number) there exists a δ > 0 such that for any x satisfying 0<|x-c|<δ, you have that f(x) > M .

8. Dec 9, 2012 #7
    No but i ment what i wrote in reply to the firs post. There must be a delta greater then 1/epsilon

9. Dec 9, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That works, if you spell out why it works.

Given an ε > 0, then 1/ε > 0 . Since [itex]\displaystyle \ \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ \ [/itex] there exists δ > 0, such that ... f(x)>1/ε ...

Added in Edit:

I removed the absolute value from f(x) above

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. Dec 9, 2012 #9
    OK thank you. Yeah I know that in writing a proof one has to write a lot of little things to make it formally correct, I just wanted to know if I understand the method of proofing. Thanks again : )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook