I have to proof that $\lim_{x \to \c} frac{1}{f(x) = 0$

Homework Statement

Given is: f is a function that maps D onto the Real numbers, and c is within D and it is a limit point, and f(x) =/= 0 for all x in D, and [itex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty[/itex]
I have to proof that:
[itex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{1}{f(x)} = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This means that according to the definition I have to proof that [itex]\forall \epsilon \ \exists \delta[/itex] so that [itex] \forall x \in D \ with \ 0 < |x-c|< \delta \ \ : |\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0|< \epsilon [/itex].

Im not sure how to go on from here. Or do i have to do something else?

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hint:
[tex]\left|\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0\right| < \epsilon[/tex]
is equivalent to
[tex]|f(x)| > \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]

Would it then be enough to say that because f diverges to infinity as x approaches c, this by definition means that there must be a [itex]\delta[/itex] for which if [itex]0<|x-c|<\delta[/itex] the latter inequality that you wrote holds, which is equivalent to the former, quod erat demonstrandum?

Last edited:
SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Given is: f is a function that maps D onto the Real numbers, and c is within D and it is a limit point, and f(x) =/= 0 for all x in D, and [itex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty[/itex]
I have to proof that:
[itex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{1}{f(x)} = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What you have to prove is what you have in the following statement .
This means that according to the definition I have to proof that [itex]\forall \epsilon \ \exists \delta[/itex] so that [itex] \forall x \in D \ with \ 0 < |x-c|< \delta \ \ : |\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0|< \epsilon [/itex].

I'm not sure how to go on from here. Or do i have to do something else?
What will help you get there is to state what is meant by:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ .[/itex]

Well the weird thing is that in our book we hv only defined what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c. This assignment is part of the chapter on continuity where weve only defined what is meant by a limit of f as x goes to infinity. But wut i wrote should b ok since that follows from the definition right?

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Well the weird thing is that in our book we have only defined
what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c. This assignment is part of the chapter on continuity where we've only defined what is meant by a limit of f as x goes to infinity. But what i wrote should be ok since that follows from the definition right?
What you wrote is what needs to be proved.

What you need, among other things, to get there is a definition of what it means for [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ .[/itex]

You may be able to deduce this from
what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c.​
and from
what it means for the limit of a function, f(x), to converge as x → c .​

Basically, what it means for [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\,,[/itex] is that given any M > 0, (usually M is a large number) there exists a δ > 0 such that for any x satisfying 0<|x-c|<δ, you have that f(x) > M .

No but i ment what i wrote in reply to the firs post. There must be a delta greater then 1/epsilon

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
No but i meant what i wrote in reply to the firs post. There must be a delta greater then 1/epsilon
That works, if you spell out why it works.

Given an ε > 0, then 1/ε > 0 . Since [itex]\displaystyle \ \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ \ [/itex] there exists δ > 0, such that ... f(x)>1/ε ...

Added in Edit:

I removed the absolute value from f(x) above

Last edited:
OK thank you. Yeah I know that in writing a proof one has to write a lot of little things to make it formally correct, I just wanted to know if I understand the method of proofing. Thanks again : )