I have to proof that $\lim_{x \to \c} frac{1}{f(x) = 0$

• Thread starter kasperrepsak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, if you are trying to prove that the function f(x) =/= 0 for all x in a given domain D, and that the limit of f as x approaches c is undefined, you first need to prove that the function diverges to infinity as x approaches c. Then, assuming that there is a point c within D at which the limit of f is undefined, you need to show that there exists a δ > 0 such that for any x satisfying 0<|x-c|<δ, f(x) > M .
kasperrepsak

Homework Statement

Given is: f is a function that maps D onto the Real numbers, and c is within D and it is a limit point, and f(x) =/= 0 for all x in D, and [itex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty[/itex]
I have to proof that:
[itex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{1}{f(x)} = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This means that according to the definition I have to proof that [itex]\forall \epsilon \ \exists \delta[/itex] so that [itex] \forall x \in D \ with \ 0 < |x-c|< \delta \ \ : |\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0|< \epsilon [/itex].

Im not sure how to go on from here. Or do i have to do something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
[tex]\left|\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0\right| < \epsilon[/tex]
is equivalent to
[tex]|f(x)| > \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]

Would it then be enough to say that because f diverges to infinity as x approaches c, this by definition means that there must be a [itex]\delta[/itex] for which if [itex]0<|x-c|<\delta[/itex] the latter inequality that you wrote holds, which is equivalent to the former, quod erat demonstrandum?

Last edited:
kasperrepsak said:

Homework Statement

Given is: f is a function that maps D onto the Real numbers, and c is within D and it is a limit point, and f(x) =/= 0 for all x in D, and [itex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty[/itex]
I have to proof that:
[itex]\lim_{x \to c} \frac{1}{f(x)} = 0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What you have to prove is what you have in the following statement .
This means that according to the definition I have to proof that [itex]\forall \epsilon \ \exists \delta[/itex] so that [itex] \forall x \in D \ with \ 0 < |x-c|< \delta \ \ : |\frac{1}{f(x)} - 0|< \epsilon [/itex].

I'm not sure how to go on from here. Or do i have to do something else?
What will help you get there is to state what is meant by:

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ .[/itex]

Well the weird thing is that in our book we hv only defined what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c. This assignment is part of the chapter on continuity where we've only defined what is meant by a limit of f as x goes to infinity. But wut i wrote should b ok since that follows from the definition right?

kasperrepsak said:
Well the weird thing is that in our book we have only defined
what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c. This assignment is part of the chapter on continuity where we've only defined what is meant by a limit of f as x goes to infinity. But what i wrote should be ok since that follows from the definition right?
What you wrote is what needs to be proved.

What you need, among other things, to get there is a definition of what it means for [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ .[/itex]

You may be able to deduce this from
what is meant by a sequence diverging to infinity at a point c.​
and from
what it means for the limit of a function, f(x), to converge as x → c .​

Basically, what it means for [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\,,[/itex] is that given any M > 0, (usually M is a large number) there exists a δ > 0 such that for any x satisfying 0<|x-c|<δ, you have that f(x) > M .

No but i ment what i wrote in reply to the firs post. There must be a delta greater then 1/epsilon

kasperrepsak said:
No but i meant what i wrote in reply to the firs post. There must be a delta greater then 1/epsilon
That works, if you spell out why it works.

Given an ε > 0, then 1/ε > 0 . Since [itex]\displaystyle \ \lim_{x \to c} f(x) = \infty\ \ [/itex] there exists δ > 0, such that ... f(x)>1/ε ...

Added in Edit:

I removed the absolute value from f(x) above

Last edited:
OK thank you. Yeah I know that in writing a proof one has to write a lot of little things to make it formally correct, I just wanted to know if I understand the method of proofing. Thanks again : )

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values get closer and closer to a specific value. It is written as "lim f(x) = L" and means that as x approaches a certain value, f(x) approaches L.

2. What does it mean when a limit equals zero?

When a limit equals zero, it means that the function approaches zero as the input values get closer and closer to a specific value. This could mean that the function is approaching zero from both positive and negative values, or that it is oscillating between positive and negative values as it approaches zero.

3. How do you prove that a limit equals zero?

To prove that a limit equals zero, you must show that for any small number ε (epsilon), there exists a corresponding number δ (delta) such that if the input value x is within δ of the specific value, then the output value of the function f(x) will be within ε of zero. This can be done using the formal definition of a limit or through various limit theorems.

4. Why is proving a limit equals zero important?

Proving a limit equals zero is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function near a specific value. This information can be used to analyze the behavior of a system or to make predictions about the function's behavior in other situations. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is needed to solve many mathematical problems.

5. How does proving a limit equals zero relate to the concept of continuity?

Proving a limit equals zero is closely related to the concept of continuity. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the function's value at that point. In other words, if a limit equals zero, it means that the function is continuous at that point. This allows us to use the properties of continuous functions to make conclusions about the behavior of the function at that point.