I know which jobs, but not which major. CE or EE?

In summary: I've spent hours reading forum after forum researching job availability, job salaries, and what jobs go with which. I am still torn between the two. I am currently finishing up the last of my Gen. Ed. classes at a community college and am working on signing up for classes for my college. Originally I wanted to deal with programming and software. However, after taking an introductory CS class that dealt with simple C++, I was intrigued at first. But after some time I found it to be tedious and became much less interested. In the physics classes I have taken I was very interested in the circuit portions of it. Which has lead me to believe I would be more content with an EE career. Jobs that
Timb0Slice
I've spent hours reading forum after forum researching job availability, job salaries, and what jobs go with which. I am still torn between the two. I am currently finishing up the last of my Gen. Ed. classes at a community college and am working on signing up for classes for my college.

Originally I wanted to deal with programming and software. However, after taking an introductory CS class that dealt with simple C++, I was intrigued at first. But after some time I found it to be tedious and became much less interested. In the physics classes I have taken I was very interested in the circuit portions of it. Which has lead me to believe I would be more content with an EE career.

Jobs that interest me are ones that involve creating and testing hardware, which I understand involves some programming. Designing circuits, designing processors, and figuring out how to make something smaller, faster, or more power efficient sound like something I would love doing. I love trying to figure something out and I sometimes refuse to give up until I do.

I'm most curious on what jobs fit this criteria and how to go about getting these jobs. So far IC design, working with processors, and working with FPGA sound like things I might enjoy.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be more along the lines of computer engineering, though it is possible with an electrical engineering degree. Check what concentrations EE has at your university. Mine offers a computer engineering specialization.

I have thoroughly looked into both computer engineering and electrical engineering. The issue for me right now are what jobs incorporate the things I enjoy doing as well as if I should major in CE or EE.

I would second Computer Engineering. Sounds like you would do fine with an EE degree too. I knew someone whose son went to GA Tech for computer engineering and had a starting salary of $ 96k after just a BS.

However, I hear that it is much more difficult to switch from a CE to an EE rather than the other way around. I know there is only a few classes different between the two. Is there a noticeable job market difference between them?

Depends what jobs you're applying for. You could always minor or double major in EE. I doubt most companies would care either way as long as you had relevant experience.

1. What is the difference between CE and EE majors?

The main difference between CE (Computer Engineering) and EE (Electrical Engineering) is the focus of the curriculum. CE majors focus on the integration of computer systems and software into electronic devices, while EE majors focus on the design and development of electrical systems and components.

2. Which major has better job prospects?

Both CE and EE majors have excellent job prospects, as both fields are in high demand in today's technology-driven world. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and strengths to determine which major would be a better fit for you.

3. Can I switch between CE and EE majors during my studies?

It is possible to switch between CE and EE majors during your studies, but it may require additional courses or time to complete the degree. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making the switch to ensure a smooth transition.

4. Which major is more math-intensive?

Both CE and EE majors require a strong foundation in math, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. However, EE majors may have slightly more math-intensive courses, as they also cover topics such as circuit analysis and signal processing.

5. What kind of jobs can I get with a CE or EE degree?

Graduates with a CE or EE degree have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, computer hardware and software, energy, and healthcare. Some common job titles for CE majors include computer engineer, software engineer, and network engineer, while EE majors may become power systems engineers, electronics engineers, or control systems engineers.