I may be in Ireland this coming August

• Thread starter Integral
  • Start date
In summary, the trip is still very uncertain, but it is very likely that I will be going. I will be working during the weekday, but will have some free time and evenings.
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Though the trip is not 100% certain, it is very likely. This will be a business trip so will be working during the weekday, but will be spending a weekend so will have some free time and evenings.

I am open to suggestions as to how I should spend my free time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integral said:

One word: Guinness.

You should try to find the Lucky Charms Leprechaun. Or you can peel potatoes. Or you can pick a fight in an Irish Pub. Or...

Integral said:
Though the trip is not 100% certain, it is very likely. This will be a business trip so will be working during the weekday, but will be spending a weekend so will have some free time and evenings.

What part of the country?

dduardo said:
You should try to find the Lucky Charms Leprechaun. Or you can peel potatoes. Or you can pick a fight in an Irish Pub. Or...

Nah, all of the lucky charm leprechauns are hiding under the rainbows, they are really hard to find without the right equipment...

Let me know where you will be, and what type of activity your looking for and I'm sure I'll be able to recommend some places.

I used to live in Ireland (northern, that is) for 2 years. However, te only place i remember going to is the giants causeway.

What a beautiful country! I went scuba diving in a bay sort of northeast of Waterford. The whole countryside is fantastic, more so if seen on horse back! lol and be prepared to hear a lot of singing :rolleyes:

I'll be in Dublin.

I certainly will enjoy a pint of Guinness, but also want to see more then the inside of a pub. I will be exploring Dublin and local country side as much as possible. I have a yen for landscape and history.

As a side note would it be an easy thing to get to Waterloo in Belgium? Can you do that sort of thing on an American passport?

Integral, you can get a Schengen Visa at the consulate in Dublin. I believe you will need proof of some kind of travel (health) insurance.

Schengen visa information : 1- 877-593-5403

If you're looking for pubs in dublin then you won't have to look too far for any of them. The temple bar area (in city centre) has piles of them, however they are usually full of stag and hen parties, so beware!
In that area I`d recommend 'The Porterhouse'. It is also a brewery that make their own beer, as well as having a huge selection of beers from around the world. It also usually has live music. Also, you might as well go the whole hog and go to the guinness storehouse. I haven't been on the tour, but everyone always says its great, and the the view from the bar is excellent! (http://www.guinness-storehouse.com)

If you`re after sightseeing near dublin, then I'd head down towards wicklow, and especially Glendalough (http://www.wicklow.com/glendalough/ [Broken]) Its really nice down there, and only a short drive from dublin. Plenty of great views and loads of history.

Hope this helps,

PS

Last edited by a moderator:
My trip is on again.

About a month ago I received word from management that I would not be making the trip to Ireland after all. Then on the 4 th of Aug, I was told by the same manager that I WOULD be going on the... 9 th of Aug.. 5 whole days notice. Then on the 8th the trip was delayed till now it looks like :uhh: the 30th!

So it seems like I will be going.. but I am not gone yet!

Live in large corporation! :rofl:

Now, you really should look forward to this trip, Integral!
Where else can you study so many nuances rainy weather can have than in Ireland!

Enjoy yourself, and don't forget your galoshes! :smile:

Integral said:
My trip is on again.

About a month ago I received word from management that I would not be making the trip to Ireland after all. Then on the 4 th of Aug, I was told by the same manager that I WOULD be going on the... 9 th of Aug.. 5 whole days notice. Then on the 8th the trip was delayed till now it looks like :uhh: the 30th!

So it seems like I will be going.. but I am not gone yet!

Live in large corporation! :rofl:
My friend who works in a law firm has trip schedules like that! It would drive me batty! But I guess they're also not worried as much about the expense when they cancel trips or buy tickets last minute or change flights 16 times before actually choosing a date for the trip, but just the idea of making arrangements to be out of the country on 5 days notice, and then having it postponed and continuously rescheduling would be insane. It's bad enough with me being single and just needing to arrange for the mail to be held and plants to be watered, but if someone has kids or pets and needs to arrange for someone to watch them, it starts getting a lot more complicated. I just don't know how people can tolerate that.

On the other hand, a company paid trip to Ireland is REALLY cool! :biggrin:

Oh yeah, family, that's right I have a family, the current schedual has me flying out on my daughters 12th birthday! and being out of the country on our familys September birthday celebration (my mom, my sister, my son and stepson all have September birthdays!)

I've been to Ireland as well as Scotland, both are absolutely beautiful from what I remember. The mornings are serene, air is crisp, although it can get a bit foggy in the mornin' s. I don't believe that I've been to any other place that is quite as peaceful. Why are you going to Ireland, if you don't mind the details of the trip, what corporation do you work for?

I work for HP, will be approving the purchase of a M$ wafer processing tool. This tool will be used in the HP proprietary process for fabrication of the print heads for the http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2005/050711a.html of printers just now being released to the market.

By approving, I mean verifying function and documentation before shipment.

1. Where is Ireland located?

Ireland is an island nation located in northwestern Europe, situated west of Great Britain and east of the Atlantic Ocean.

2. What is the weather like in Ireland in August?

In August, Ireland experiences mild temperatures with average highs of around 20°C (68°F) and lows of 12°C (54°F). The weather can be unpredictable, with rain and sunshine occurring throughout the month.

3. What are some popular tourist attractions in Ireland?

Ireland is known for its stunning landscapes, ancient castles, and vibrant cities. Some popular tourist attractions include the Cliffs of Moher, the Ring of Kerry, the Guinness Storehouse, and the city of Dublin.

4. Do I need a visa to visit Ireland?

It depends on your country of origin. Citizens of the European Union, United States, Canada, and Australia do not need a visa for stays of up to 90 days. Visitors from other countries may need to apply for a visa before traveling to Ireland.

5. What cultural customs should I be aware of when visiting Ireland?

Ireland has a rich culture and history, and visitors should be respectful of local customs. Some things to keep in mind include addressing people by their first names, tipping in restaurants, and being mindful of the country's history and political landscape.