I need a 2nd opinion on a circuit analysis answer

In summary, for the given circuit, using superposition, it can be found that I_L is equal to 3.43mA at an angle of -59.04 degrees when only source B is considered (with the current source open) and -20mA when only source A is considered (with the voltage source shorted). The confusion arises due to the lack of information about whether the current source should be treated as AC or DC, as indicated by the professor's contradictory grading. It may be necessary to clarify with the professor or provide both solutions in a test setting.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Use superposition to find [tex]I_L[/tex]

superposition.jpg

Homework Equations

-The overall current is the sum of the currents supplied by each source individually

The Attempt at a Solution

for source B only (current source is open):

---ohm's law: [tex]\frac{100V}{15k + j25k} = 3.43mA( -59.04 degrees)[/tex]

Here is where I'm having to defend my answer:

for souce A only (voltage source shorted):

---since there is no phase shift labeled, it should be assumed that the current source can be treated as a DC source, treating the inductor as a short, making [tex]I_L[/tex] -20mA

Is this wrong? Should I treat a current source as AC if it has other AC sources involved in the circuit? If this is so I'd just do a current divider to get [tex]I_L[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the question would have to be more explicit in defining whether the 20mA is an ac or dc source.

Well no extra information was given than what's shown, yet I got it marked wrong for treating it one way over the other...

Am I going to have to call out my professor again? I'm losing all my brownie points because of his dud test questions

I would imagine the "+" by the current source tells you it's a dc source.

Well actually he graded it as it being an AC source.

If you are answering the question as part of a test and if the professor is not available to clarify, then I guess you could always offer both solutions, one for each case.

Failing that, then I suppose at the last resort you should treat it as ac since, as you said, there are other ac sources in the circuit.

Gokul43201 said:
I would imagine the "+" by the current source tells you it's a dc source.

Hmm... but a "+" sign also appears beside the dependent voltage source and that one is clearly ac.

doodle said:
Hmm... but a "+" sign also appears beside the dependent voltage source and that one is clearly ac.
Haha! Yes, it does. What on Earth is it for, then?

For the dependent voltage source, I would imagine that it is there to indicate where the +terminal is (neccesary in defining voltage). I don't know why it appears beside the current source.

1. How accurate is the circuit analysis answer?

The accuracy of a circuit analysis answer depends on the information and assumptions used in the analysis. To ensure a more accurate answer, it is important to double check the input values and assumptions made in the analysis.

2. Can you explain the circuit analysis answer in simpler terms?

Sure, I can break down the circuit analysis answer into simpler terms for better understanding. It is important to have a basic understanding of circuit components and their behavior to fully comprehend the analysis.

3. Is there a possibility of error in the circuit analysis answer?

Yes, there is always a possibility of error in any analysis. It is important to thoroughly review the analysis and double check the input values and assumptions made to minimize the chances of error.

4. How can I verify the circuit analysis answer?

You can verify the circuit analysis answer by using a circuit simulation software or by physically building the circuit and measuring the values. It is important to compare the results with the analysis to ensure accuracy.

5. What if I need a different perspective on the circuit analysis answer?

If you need a second opinion on the circuit analysis answer, you can consult with another scientist or expert in the field. It is always helpful to get a different perspective and consider alternative solutions.