Phasor Circuit Analysis Homework: Understanding Incorrect Answers | MacLaddy

In summary: You'll find that a lot in AC circuit analysis.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using KVL to solve a circuit diagram, specifically regarding the polarity of sources in the equation. The expert explains that when summing potential drops, a rise due to a voltage source is written as a negative value and a drop as a positive value. They also mention the importance of relative phase and how it can change over time.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hello folks. I had a recent midterm where I got a problem wrong, but I'm not sure I understand why. I am hoping someone here can shed some light. Please see the attached circuit diagram.

Homework Equations

Phasor notation stuff... I am correct on all except one sign. Please see below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using superposition, and considering the sources as Case 1, and Case 2, as noted in the image.

Case 1:

[itex]12cos(2000t)=12\angle{0^\circ}[/itex]
[itex]cap= -40j[/itex]
[itex]Ind= 10j[/itex]

Using KVL

[itex]-12\angle{0^\circ}+(-40j)I_1+30I_1+10jI_1=0[/itex]
[itex]I_1=0.28\angle{45^\circ}[/itex]
[itex]I_1=0.28cos(2000t+45^\circ)[/itex]

Case 2:

[itex]18cos(4000t)=18\angle{0^\circ}[/itex]
[itex]cap= -20j[/itex]
[itex]Ind= 20j[/itex]

Using KVL

[itex]-18\angle{0^\circ}+(-20j)I_2+20jI_2+30I_2=0[/itex]
[itex]I_1=0.6\angle{0^\circ}[/itex]
[itex]I_1=0.6cos(4000t)[/itex]

Final answer

[itex]i(t)=0.28cos(2000t+45^\circ)+0.6cos(4000t)[/itex]

However, my instructor says that the answer above should have a negative sign instead of a positive. Like this...

[itex]i(t)=0.28cos(2000t+45^\circ)-0.6cos(4000t)[/itex]

He explained that he is following KVL by using the sign directions that are drawn on the diagram. This seems wrong to me, as that would make every element in the second equation positive.

[itex]18\angle{0^\circ}+(-20j)I_2+20jI_2+30I_2=0[/itex]

But shouldn't the power source always have a different sign than the other elements? If I apply KVL to the above it would indicate that either everything is applying voltage to the element, or everything is removing it.

Any hints on where my thinking is incorrect?

Thanks,
MacLaddy

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
When you are summing potential drops around a loop, then a potential rise due to a voltage source is written as a negative value, and a potential drop as a positive value.

In your case for the second source you are going clockwise around the loop and when you go through the 18 V source you do it from + to -, so it's a potential drop. It gets treated like any other drop, which is to say, it is summed as a positive quantity.

Likes MacLaddy
gneill said:
When you are summing potential drops around a loop, then a potential rise due to a voltage source is written as a negative value, and a potential drop as a positive value.

In your case for the second source you are going clockwise around the loop and when you go through the 18 V source you do it from + to -, so it's a potential drop. It gets treated like any other drop, which is to say, it is summed as a positive quantity.

Thanks gneill. I suppose I'm convinced, especially since you echo my professors sentiments. It just seems unlikely that a polarity direction could be assigned to a current that is alternating. Perhaps this is more of an academic problem than a real life one? At least now I know for sure when the final comes rolling around.

Mac

MacLaddy said:
Thanks gneill. I suppose I'm convinced, especially since you echo my professors sentiments. It just seems unlikely that a polarity direction could be assigned to a current that is alternating. Perhaps this is more of an academic problem than a real life one? At least now I know for sure when the final comes rolling around.

Mac
Consider an AC source with a function of time given by ##v1(t) = A sin(\omega t)##. At time t = 0 the value is increasing in the positive direction. Another source ##v2(t) = -A sin(\omega t)## would be decreasing. So the sources are in fact 180° out of phase. The polarity of the symbol used in the schematic tells you the relative orientation of the sources' basic phase angles.

Last edited:
gneill said:
Consider an AC source with a function of time given by ##v1(t) = A sin(\omega t)##. At time t = 0 the value is increasing in the positive direction. Another source ##v2(t) -A sin(\omega t)## would be decreasing. So the sources are in fact 180° out of phase. The polarity of the symbol used in the schematic tells you the relative orientation of the sources' basic phase angles.

Thank you, that I do understand. But aren't the sources above out of phase--have different frequencies? Truly, it doesn't matter too much. I'm a mechanical guy taking an electrical class. I believe I understand well enough now for my purposes.

Mac

MacLaddy said:
Thank you, that I do understand. But aren't the sources above out of phase--have different frequencies?
Their relative phases will change over time due to having different fundamental frequencies, yes. It's not always the case though, and relative phase matters a great deal in many cases.

A.sin(ωt) and -A.sin(ωt)
have the same peak amplitude, A
have opposite phase, meaning they differ by 180°

The pair could be written, equivalently, as A.sin(ωt) and A.sin(ωt - 180°)
because the minus sign for amplitude is, basically, a shorthand way of showing a 180° phase shift

Related to Phasor Circuit Analysis Homework: Understanding Incorrect Answers | MacLaddy

1. What is phasor circuit analysis?

Phasor circuit analysis is a method used to analyze circuits with alternating current (AC) sources. It involves converting the sinusoidal voltage and current waveforms into complex numbers called phasors, which can be manipulated using basic algebraic operations.

2. Why is understanding incorrect answers important in phasor circuit analysis homework?

Understanding incorrect answers in phasor circuit analysis homework is important because it helps identify common mistakes and misconceptions, which can prevent them from happening in future problem solving. It also helps improve overall understanding of the concepts and techniques used in phasor analysis.

3. What are some common mistakes made in phasor circuit analysis homework?

Some common mistakes made in phasor circuit analysis homework include using incorrect phasor diagrams, not properly accounting for phase angles, forgetting to include the effects of reactive components, and incorrect use of phasor algebra.

4. How can I improve my understanding of phasor circuit analysis?

To improve your understanding of phasor circuit analysis, it is important to practice regularly and review any mistakes made in homework or practice problems. It can also be helpful to seek clarification from a teacher or tutor, or to use online resources and textbooks for additional explanations and examples.

5. Are there any tips for solving phasor circuit analysis problems more efficiently?

Yes, some tips for solving phasor circuit analysis problems more efficiently include: breaking down the problem into smaller steps, using systematic approaches such as KVL and KCL, simplifying complex circuits into simpler equivalent circuits, and being mindful of common mistakes and misconceptions.