Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a book for EE because the only thing I know is the word volts

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    I need a book for EE because the only thing I know is the word "volts"

Hey guys

I'm just started my freshman year in college and I chose EE as my major because its cool. But I realized that not only do I don't know a thing, but it seems that everyone in classes knows the material and knows what's going on except me. We don't have any book regarding the EE class (the profosser only uses slides). so I was looking for a book that could give me at least an introduction to EE, because I don't know what the heck a compressor is, nor an ampr, nor all those weird stuff they were talking about. Can somebody please help me out and tell me of a good book or website or something ?

thx

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2
    Re: I need a book for EE cuz the only thing I know is the word "volts"

In what class do you have problems, intro to circuits? Did you take a physics class? It should cover the basics. I honestly don't know of a good intro book to electronics, but have a look at this website. Also check amazon and read their reviews.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html

I'm sure you guys have a lab, but consider getting your own multimeter and some electronic parts to do experiments outside of your class.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. Sep 10, 2009 #3

I believe that's the problem: I never took a physics class, in the American ciriculman atleast. So that is why every term in EE is new to me even though most of the students in the class knew what was going on. The class i'm taking for EE is "EEE 101 Intro to Engineering Design". As for the link, thank you, I took a fast look at it and it seems really helpful.

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Waht's link is great. Concentrate on chapters 1, 2 and 5 and 14 for a start.

But unless you are a very fast learner, you are likely to fail because this is too much to absorb so quickly. Could you defer your studies and take some sort of bridging or beginner's course before trying to do College level?

6. Sep 11, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: I need a book for EE because the only thing I know is the word "volts"

Welcome to the PF. I don't know what a "compressor" is in the context of EE, so sorry I'm not help on that one. Don't worry too much about other students' head starts, as long as you are willing to work a bit to catch up. I'd recommend that you get a copy of the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, and make it a point to read it cover-to-cover before you are done with your freshman year. It will give you the background that the others appear to have on you.

Also, try to get a couple electronics kits and put those together in your spare time. That will really give you some practical experience, and help you to feel good about what you are learning. Have fun!

7. Sep 12, 2009 #6

vk6kro: Indeed it is a great link. I don't think I can defer my studies and take some sort of bridging or beginner's course before trying to do College level because I'm already in the college level. However, I will do my best o comprehend and absorb the material, regardless of the hardships.

berkeman: thank you, I'm happy to be a member of this community. As for the book you recommended, I already took a look at it on Amazon and read the reviews. It is a very good book but assumes that you already have a background, which is something I lack. However, I did buy three other books which are: "Electrical Engineering 101, Second Edition: Everything You Should Have Learned in School...but Probably Didn't (w/ CD)", "Getting Started in Electronics ", and "All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self Teaching Guides) ".

thank you all for the help

mfalyahy

8. Sep 13, 2009 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I don't recall the AoE assuming any background, as it starts super-basic. Glad to hear that you are finding good resources -- have fun!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook