1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I I need a list of all singularities in physics

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    Hi there everyone :smile:

I'd like to have a list of all the instances where a singularity appears in physics, e.g., in relativity, causing the black hole thing.

Specific cases where

[tex] \frac{x}{0} [/tex]

appears.

For instance, I heard that there is another case in quantum mechanics, or quantum field theory, and I think it is called renormalization.

Can you help me please?

Thank you very much in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2
    Hi SothSogi:

The Friedmann equation
    FriedmannEq.png
    has a singularity for a=0 which also corresponds to t=0.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. May 1, 2017 #3

Thanks Buzz Bloom. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Thank you very much :smile:

5. May 1, 2017 #4
    This is difficult to do because many singularities are the products of co-ordinate choices. You will have to sift through them all and determine which ones are, and I hate to use the word, real.

6. May 1, 2017 #5

Yes, I suppose. But here I am talking about well known singularities, like black holes, or that thing, renormalization which I do not know very well. I think there is another called cosmic string, or another called domain wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted