Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I I need a list of all singularities in physics

1. May 1, 2017 #1
    Hi there everyone :smile:

I'd like to have a list of all the instances where a singularity appears in physics, e.g., in relativity, causing the black hole thing.

Specific cases where

[tex] \frac{x}{0} [/tex]

appears.

For instance, I heard that there is another case in quantum mechanics, or quantum field theory, and I think it is called renormalization.

Can you help me please?

Thank you very much in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2
    Hi SothSogi:

The Friedmann equation
    FriedmannEq.png
    has a singularity for a=0 which also corresponds to t=0.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. May 1, 2017 #3

Thanks Buzz Bloom. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. Thank you very much :smile:

5. May 1, 2017 #4
    This is difficult to do because many singularities are the products of co-ordinate choices. You will have to sift through them all and determine which ones are, and I hate to use the word, real.

6. May 1, 2017 #5

Yes, I suppose. But here I am talking about well known singularities, like black holes, or that thing, renormalization which I do not know very well. I think there is another called cosmic string, or another called domain wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted