I need a very unusual UV filter (no, not what you're thinking)

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Arkasha
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Filter Thinking Uv
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Arkasha
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I want to show my class how tonic water will fluoresce under UV light. My UV sources are a couple of 12V UV bulbs, as designed to "pimp out" (don't ask) a PC.

Here's the main problem: these also put out some visible wavelength, purplish light. I'd like filter this visible light out, so my students don't think the fluorescence is somehow just a reflection of the emitted (visible) light.

Can anyone suggest a material that would effectively render these lights truly "black?"

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a green foil or glass helps filtering out red parts of the light.

Or you could buy a filter, for example from Edmund Optics:
http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1924
I would suggest the BG-12 filter for 22 Dollars.
The bottom graphics shows the filter characteristics.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Edgardo. Very useful information, so I can shop around for larger sizes.
 
You may also call their technical support. They will surely help you.