Math Struggles: Factorization & LCD

In summary, the conversation discusses struggles with remembering how to factor and do LCD with algebraic equations in a Precalc 1 course. The conversation also touches on the concept of FOIL, or multiplying trinomial equations, and the use of LCD to solve equations with multiple denominators. The conversation ends with a practice problem for solving an equation with a complex LCD.
Revolver
I haven't taken a math class since high school and I'm 23 now. I jumped right into Precalc 1 for the summer and the first chapter kicked my ass. I completely forgot how to factor and do LCD with algebraic equations and my professor just breezes by it like its nothing.

Can anyone explain the general principles of factoring trinomial equations? Example x^2 + 5x 6 = 0, factor that. (Or is the term called FOIL?)

LCD is a problem too, I know the concept is multiply both denominators together to get the LCD to cancel out... but what if the equation is complex like (2+5x)/(x^2+4x+3) + (3-4x)/(5x+8) = 7x^2 + 7

another one was x/8 + 2x/4 = 25

Any help and or practice problems would be greatly appreciated, i need to catch up!

Physics news on Phys.org
FOIL is a mnemonic for multiplying, the opposite of factoring. To multiply (x+a)(x+b) you have to multiply each part of the first term by each part of the second term. F is "first terms" x*x= x2. O is "outside" x(b)= bx, I is "inside" a(x)= ax, L is "last" a(b)= ab, but the effect is simply that you multiplied the "x" in the first term by both x and b and the "a" in the first term by both x and b: (x+a)(x+b)= x2+ ax+ bx+ ab= x2+ (a+b)x+ ab. Now look carefully at the number multiplying x, a+ b, and the constant term ab. They are just the sum and product of the two numbers. To factor x2 + 5x+ 6, work backwards. You know that ab must equal 6 so factor the 6 first: 6= 3(2). It also happens that 5= 3+2= a+b. x2+ 5x+ 6= (x+3)(x+2).
You do not "multiply both denominators together to get the LCD to cancel out". The point of the LCD "Least common denominator" is to not have to do that much work (unless absolutely necessary. To solve
[tex]\frac{2+ 5x}{x^2+4x+3}+\frac{3-4x}{5x+8}= 7x^2+ 7[/tex]
factor the denominators: 3= 3(1) and 3+1= 4 so x2+ 4x+ 3= (x+3)(x+1). Since 5x+8 is not either of those, the LCD does happen to be the product: multiply each term of the equation by x2+ 4x+ 3 and 5x+ 8. Each of the denominators will cancel and you will have
[tex](2+5x)(5x+8)+ (3-4x)(x^2+ 4x+ 3)= (7x^2+ 7)(x^2+ 4x+ 3)(5x+8)[/itex]
The will be a fifth degree equation which might be impossible to solve exactly. I assume you just made that up, it's not an actual problem you were expected to solve.

For x/8+ 2x/4= 25, since 8= 2(4), just multiply each term by the LCD,8:
8(x/8)+ 8(2x)/4= 8(25), x+ 4x= 200, 5x= 200.

I understand the importance of a strong foundation in mathematics for success in many fields, including science. It is not uncommon for individuals to struggle with math concepts after a period of time away from the subject, and it is admirable that you are taking steps to catch up and improve your skills.

Factorization and finding the least common denominator (LCD) are fundamental concepts in algebra that are necessary for solving more complex equations. Let me provide some general principles and examples to help you better understand these concepts.

First, let's discuss factorization. The goal of factoring is to break down a polynomial expression into smaller parts, called factors. This is useful because it allows us to simplify expressions and solve equations. In the example you provided, x^2 + 5x + 6 = 0, we want to find the factors of 6 that add up to 5, which in this case are 2 and 3. So the expression can be factored as (x + 2)(x + 3) = 0. This means that either x + 2 = 0 or x + 3 = 0, giving us the solutions x = -2 and x = -3.

The term FOIL is often used as a mnemonic to help remember the steps for multiplying two binomials. It stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last, which refers to the order in which you multiply the terms. For example, to multiply (x + 2)(x + 3), we would first multiply the first terms (x * x), then the outer terms (x * 3), then the inner terms (2 * x), and finally the last terms (2 * 3). This results in x^2 + 5x + 6, which we can see is the same as our original expression.

Now let's discuss LCD. The LCD is the smallest number that is a multiple of all the denominators in a given equation. In the complex equation you provided, (2+5x)/(x^2+4x+3) + (3-4x)/(5x+8) = 7x^2 + 7, we first need to find the LCD of the two denominators, which in this case is (x+1)(5x+8). We then multiply both sides of the equation by this LCD to eliminate the fractions, resulting in a simpler equation to solve.

For

1. What is factorization and why is it important in math?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a number or expression into smaller factors. It is important in math because it helps us simplify complex equations, find common denominators, and solve for unknown variables.

2. How do I know if I am struggling with factorization?

If you have trouble finding the factors of a number or simplifying expressions with multiple terms, you may be struggling with factorization. Additionally, if you struggle to find the greatest common factor (GCF) or least common multiple (LCM) of two or more numbers, you may need more practice with factorization.

3. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

Prime numbers are numbers that can only be divided evenly by 1 and itself, such as 3, 5, and 7. Composite numbers, on the other hand, have more than two factors. For example, 10 is a composite number because it can be divided by 1, 2, 5, and 10.

4. How can I improve my skills in finding the least common denominator (LCD)?

Finding the LCD involves finding the smallest number that is a multiple of all the denominators in a set of fractions. To improve your skills, practice finding the GCF of two or more numbers, as the GCF can be used to find the LCD. You can also use online tools or ask a math teacher for help with finding the LCD.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for factorization and finding the LCD?

There are several tricks and shortcuts that can be used for factorization and finding the LCD. For example, you can use the "butterfly method" to find the GCF and LCD of fractions. You can also use the "cross-multiplication" method to simplify fractions. However, it is important to also understand the underlying concepts and practice regularly to improve your skills in factorization and finding the LCD.