1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need some help with pendulum experiment

1. Feb 23, 2006 #1
    I need some help!!

i have two things i'm stuck on and i really can't get my head around them.

i have done a pendulum experiment using a 1m rule hung over a point using an inverted v shaped piece of string, i have calculated the period and have been given this equation to relate period T to perpendicular height h,

T^2.h=4pi^2/g(h^2 + k^2)

k is a constant and g is acceleration of free fall.

i need to draw a suitable graph to find g and k

The other question is,

ice of temp -10 celsius is dropped into a glass of water at temp 20 cesius, what is the temperature eventually?

i have the respective heat capacities and the latent heat of ice, i also know i have to use Q=mc delta t from -10 to 0. i think i have to use Q=ml after that but i don't know how they relate and if i have to goback to the original equation after 0 celsius?

please please help i just don't seem to be getting anywhere, thanks, Dan.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The equation for a simple pendulum period is [tex] T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{h}{g}} [/tex].
  4. Feb 23, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You want to re-arrange this so that you've got something like
    [tex] T^2 = g\cdot k \cdot h [/tex]
    This will allow you to plot the square of the time period against height, where [itex] kg [/itex]gives the gradient. [itex]k[/itex] can be defined using the equation and [itex]g[/itex] can be found by dividing the gradient by [itex]k[/itex]
  5. Feb 23, 2006 #4
    thanks, that's really helpfull. Any idea about the other question?
  6. Feb 23, 2006 #5
    no matter how hard i try i can't rearrange the given equation to make
    T^2 = g.k.h although it makes sense and works out correctly!

Also how would i find k using a T^2/h graph?
  7. Feb 23, 2006 #6
    You've got data for T and h and need to find a way to graph to get g and k. Here's some creative graphing logic for you. You've got data for T and h, so they have to be your x and y variables somehow. So solve for h^2:
    [tex]h^2=\frac{4 \pi^2}{g} * \frac{1}{T^2} - k^2 [/tex]
    How does this help? Set your y variable equal to h^2 and your x variable to 1/T^2. That means whatever slope you get from your linear regression you can equate to [tex]4 \pi^2/g[/tex]. Likewise the intercept you will get you can equate to [tex]-k^2[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?