I need super help on a complex analysis problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a Laurent Series for Log(z) in the Annulus 0<|z|<1. The speaker mentions a theorem and provides a link for reference. They also mention that Log(z) is not analytic for all z not equal to 0, but only for the principal branch. They have attempted to calculate some coefficients but are unsure if their logic is correct.
dt666999

Homework Statement

Is there a Laurent Series for Log(z) in the Annulus 0<|z|<1?

Homework Equations

Go here for the Theorem. It is theorem 7.8:

www.math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/LaurentSeriesMod.html[/URL]

(copy and paste the link below if you are having problems. Exclude the "[url]" in the link below):

[PLAIN]http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/LaurentSeriesMod.html[url] [Broken]

This whole section actually comes right out of my current textbook!

The Attempt at a Solution

From what is stated in the theorem I'm assuming yes because Log(z) is analytic for all z not equal to 0. So for any Annulus A(0,0,R), where R >0, a laurent series should exist.

I calculated a few coefficients out, but I'm not sure it is right for all n. I tried to google this situation to verify that my logic is right, but the only series I'm ever given is the maclaurin series of Log(1+z) which converges in the disk |z|<1.

Any help on this would be most apperciated it.

THanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dt666999 said:
Log(z) is analytic for all z not equal to 0.
No it isn't. It's not even continuous on the set of all nonzero z.

Hurkyl said:
No it isn't. It's not even continuous on the set of all nonzero z.

I forgot I was looking at the principal branch LOG function, which is not analytic on the negative real axis. Thanx anyways.

1. How do I approach a complex analysis problem?

When facing a complex analysis problem, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the key concepts and techniques that are relevant to the problem. Then, try to understand the problem by drawing diagrams or making simplifications. Finally, take a step-by-step approach to solving the problem, making sure to check your work at each stage.

2. What are some common techniques used in complex analysis?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and residue theory. These techniques involve manipulating complex functions and using properties of complex numbers to solve problems.

3. How can I improve my understanding of complex analysis?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of complex analysis is through practice. Solve a variety of problems, including both theoretical and computational ones. Additionally, studying the underlying theory and concepts of complex analysis will help you develop a stronger foundation for solving problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has numerous real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and understand phenomena such as fluid flow, electrical circuits, and financial markets. Additionally, it has applications in signal processing and data analysis.

5. How can I check my work when solving a complex analysis problem?

To check your work when solving a complex analysis problem, you can use several methods. First, make sure your solution satisfies all of the given conditions and equations in the problem. You can also check your work by using alternate methods to solve the problem or by graphing the solution. Additionally, consulting with peers or a professor can help you identify any errors in your work.