I need your help!

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
0TheSwerve0 said:
My brother had a similar problem with his English teacher a few years ago. He was seriously sick before and during the final, emailed the teacher about it and even got a doctor's note. He didn't show up for the exam, so the teacher failed him. He went through appeal after appeal, wrote letters, provided documentation, all to no avail. The teacher was a rule nazi and unforunately, the school board said it was up to her on what to do. After about a year of this, he finally gave up. Granted, he didn't try to get in contact with her until the weekend before, so maybe you'll have better luck.
I'm actually pretty surprised by this outcome. If he was sick and at the doctor's office at the time of the exam, the doctor's note should have been sufficient...unless you mean he went to the doctor's before the exam, in which case, unless he had something contagious, he should have showed up and appealed later for a re-test or leniency on the grading to account for being sick during the exam.

I helped proctor placement exams at the college I attended once...these are the exams the incoming freshmen take to help place them in proper math, English and foreign language courses (and when applicable, appropriate chemistry courses, because those were divided by math aptitude as well). The students are told their admission is contingent on taking these exams, no make-ups allowed, etc. Well, when I was proctoring, we had a student show up practically green with illness. One of the other proctors "took pity" and set a trash can next to the student so they wouldn't have to leave the room to vomit. :rolleyes: The deans also help proctor these, but roam from exam room to exam room. When one arrived, took one look at the student and noted the reason for the trash can being where it was, they took her name and number and sent her home and arranged for a make-up. Illness that bad is an excuse. But, that's also why I'm advising Cyrus to show up to that Tuesday exam, no matter what he's told leading up to it. He can deal with whether it will be accepted after-the-fact (it doesn't even need to be appealed before final grades are issued...those can still be changed on appeal), but if he doesn't show up for it because the prof tells him it's too late, then there won't be any recourse if he hasn't taken it at all.

Curious, I think Cyrus is just venting to us because he's understandably upset and nervous about this. To have a syllabus that hasn't even been updated in 6 years is pretty lazy and inexcusable, and to just point to the school's honor code is unprofessional. A syllabus should include all the details of the course, not just a reading list, should be current, specify grading policies, dates and times of exams, what the instructor considers valid reasons to take a make-up exam, the procedure for arranging a make-up exam (including things like, "if you are sick and not hospitalized, show up for the exam and a determination will be made at that time if a make-up exam will be made available.) Even the format of the make-up exam should be specified...will it be the same as the rest of the class got, or a different exam, or oral instead of written, etc.? (Personal experience has taught me that oral make-up exams deter students with a minor case of sniffles from arguing illness.)

If Cyrus does have to appeal his grade based on issues with this make-up exam, I am quite certain the university administration will ensure this particular professor gets a lesson on writing a proper syllabus in time for his fall classes.

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Cyrus, why are you the only one that has issues like this? Do you thrive on this stress? You'll be dead by 27.

Update report:

Still no reply from this guy. I went to the ME department advisor, who said he has to let me take the exam. She called him and he was not at his office, so she left him a voice mail too. She also sent a message to the TA, who said he could not get a hold of the proff either. I seriously think the guy is out of town. The guy did not even post any office hours during exam week!

Un-freakin-believable :rolleyes:

I am sick and tired of some of the crap they try to pull at this school.

On the up side, I got an 81 on my electronics exam, prof said he would give me an A-

Curious3141
Homework Helper
cyrus said:
Update report:

Still no reply from this guy. I went to the ME department advisor, who said he has to let me take the exam. She called him and he was not at his office, so she left him a voice mail too. She also sent a message to the TA, who said he could not get a hold of the proff either. I seriously think the guy is out of town. The guy did not even post any office hours during exam week!

Un-freakin-believable :rolleyes:

I am sick and tired of some of the crap they try to pull at this school.

On the up side, I got an 81 on my electronics exam, prof said he would give me an A-
I do sympathise with you. This seems like a lot of unnecessary stress for you to have to go thru' before taking an exam. However, the course of action remains the same, just show up to take the exam on Tuesday and if he objects explain the situation and if he continues to say no, tell him you've been advised by senior administration that he has to let you take the exam. Maybe get a note to that effect right now from the ME advisor so there's no wiggle room.

I hope after this incident, you have no further classes with this guy, and I further hope it's an MCQ type exam for the most part, because teachers with a grudge have been known to mark students down (MCQs make it tough).

BTW, congrats on your Electronics grade. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good luck on your final today, Cyrus! And congrats on the A in Electronics.

That's really weird that even the TA didn't know how to reach the prof. If he was heading out of town, you'd think he'd have at least made sure the TA knew so the TA could help answer student questions before the exam, and the department head should have known too.

Well, out of nowhere, he shows up today *right before the exam* and hands them out. He has no list of names, he doesn’t even care. He just said 'this is for the people who had the electronic exam or religious reasons, right?"

Then he gave out the test and kept walking away for 10 mins at a time. One guy finished and wanted to leave to his next exam, but was waiting around for him to get back to turn in his test. He got tired of waiting and shoved the test under the teacher’s door. :rolleyes:

All I needed was a 77% to get an A. I think I easily achieved that or higher.

Oh, well that class is done. I SPANKED that test like a newborn baby.

good that everything has gone well. I'm not sure how it is with colleges, but 77% is quite low, get at least a 90 :P

Oh, well that class is done. I SPANKED that test like a newborn baby.
Cyrus... you're such a sadist

I did not say 77% was an A.

Cool, good to hear it worked out Cyrus!

I just got my linear algebra final exam back and I got 100% on it :biggrin:

Dude, NICE!:cool:

Pengwunio should follow your lead........:rolleyes:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Glad all worked out okay, Cyrus.

And congrats on your linear algebra exam mattmns!

heartless said:
good that everything has gone well. I'm not sure how it is with colleges, but 77% is quite low, get at least a 90 :P

Cyrus... you're such a sadist
I took your advice and got a 90. :wink:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
cyrus said:
I took your advice and got a 90. :wink:
Woo hoo! Glad all that added stress didn't hurt your grade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Cyrus! :approve:

A 90 is rather pathetic. :uhh:

Oh well, I got a 92.5% in that class overall.

Im just glad that it is OVER.

That is the first class I ever had to read a text book cover to cover. It sucked on ice.

Yeah A's are rather pathetic :rolleyes:

In almost all my classes I read the textbook cover to cover!

Really? You must have small textbooks.

I should not say cover to cover. I should say that I read all the required sections for the particular class. I did read my linear text cover to cover, but it was a small text (less than 300 pages).