I really , I don't know how to go about figuring out this problem

• Thread starter AlaniRivers
  • Start date
In summary: The actor wants to be as close to the ground as possible so he doesn't injure himself, so the spring has to be strong enough to catch him when he jumps off the chair onto the spring.
AlaniRivers
Tarzan, played by Patrick Huard, 60 kg, must cross a stream
5 m wide, and full of hungry crocodiles. To do this,
decides to slide along a sloping tree trunk, hollowed
and moist so that there is no friction. After the trunk,
there is a part of 3 m platform covered in mud, with a
coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.3 leading to the edge of
stream. It clings so, without jumping to a vine rigid
8 m with a massless, free to rotate (without friction), in
lower end which is just below where it is
attached (the vine hangs). The vine and he traveled an arc
above the stream. Tarzan must release the vine when
stops momentarily and land, dry, on the other side of
stream!
a) You must ensure that nothing bad will happen to
Tarzan, and for this you must select the tree trunk to be used (starting height of Tarzan).
b) The actor who plays the role of Tarzan wants to land on a chair mounted on a spring so as not to injure,
is stipulated in his contract. This chair is 1 m above the ground and is attached to a spring
can undergo a maximum compression of 0.3 m. What should be the spring constant of the spring to avoid damage to the actor?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to work out the initial height actor A starts out in order to get him across the river ... as well as the strength of the spring which will catch him.

You have drawn a picture of the process right?
That's the first step.

He'll slide down a slope, then along a 3m horizontal.
You don't know how long the slope is or the angle of the slope, but you are asked about it'd height ... this is a clue: conservation of energy.

In fact - that's your approach for the whole thing.

I got that I had to use conservation of energy but won't I be left with too many unknowns to solve the height?

Well walk your way through it.
You can work out the energy lost on the mud part, and you know how far the vine has to swing.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key factors and variables involved. These include the weight and mass of Tarzan, the distance he needs to cross, the materials and surfaces he will encounter, and the desired outcome of landing safely.

Next, I would gather relevant information and data, such as the coefficient of friction of the mud and the maximum compression of the spring. This information can be used to calculate the forces and energies involved in Tarzan's journey.

To determine the starting height of the tree trunk, I would use principles of physics such as conservation of energy to ensure that Tarzan has enough energy to safely reach the other side of the stream. This would involve calculating the potential and kinetic energies at different points along his journey and making sure they are sufficient for him to complete the task.

Similarly, to determine the spring constant needed for the chair, I would use equations related to springs and potential energy to ensure that the spring can safely absorb the energy of Tarzan's landing without causing injury. This would involve considering the mass of Tarzan, the maximum compression of the spring, and the desired height of the chair.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would use principles of physics and careful calculations to determine the appropriate starting height for the tree trunk and the necessary spring constant for the chair to ensure the safety of Tarzan in this scenario.

1. What is the first step in figuring out a scientific problem?

The first step in figuring out a scientific problem is to clearly define and understand the problem. This involves identifying the specific question or issue that needs to be addressed and gathering all relevant information and background knowledge.

2. How do I approach a problem that I am not familiar with?

When faced with a problem that you are not familiar with, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying what you do know and then work on gathering more information and resources to help you understand and solve the problem.

3. What resources can I use to help me solve a scientific problem?

There are a variety of resources that can aid in solving scientific problems, such as textbooks, scientific journals, online databases, and consulting with other experts in the field. It is important to use reliable and credible sources of information to ensure accurate and valid results.

4. How can I test my hypotheses to figure out the problem?

To test a hypothesis, you can design and conduct experiments, collect and analyze data, and draw conclusions based on the results. It is important to use the scientific method to ensure that your experiments are controlled and your results are reliable.

5. What should I do if I am still unsure about how to solve a problem?

If you are still unsure about how to solve a problem, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field. They may be able to provide insights and suggestions that can help you approach the problem from a different angle or consider alternative solutions.