I Saw A "New To Me" Aphid Predator

• Thread starter BigDon
  • Start date
In summary: The life cycle of a dhole is one of the most remarkable I've ever seen.They eventually leave a planet's crust riddled with tunnels like shipworms eating a pine log.
BigDon
Hopefully if I can describe it well enough someone can help me ID it.

It was translucent green, three quarters of an inch long, and maggot-like, (Blunt tail end, but no "beak".)

I came across it just as it begun feeding and it was swallowing aphids whole, which were still visible as it was backlit by the sun. Swallowed seven adult aphids in total.

That should be a good diagnostic, as far as I know most aphid predators I'm aware of merely suck the fluids from them or masticate them.

Biology news on Phys.org
Maybe its a green hoverfly larvae:

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 11.29.59 AM.png

There are lots of other larval insect aphid predators shown here.

• Haha
  • Informative
  • Wow
Likes hutchphd, BigDon and Evo
That's it exactly!

Thank you sir. We have hoverflies all over the place around here. I just never noticed their larva before I guess.

Hoverflies are the main food source of my outdoor Venus flytrap collection. Followed closely by spiders.

Likes BillTre
BigDon said:
Hoverflies are the main food source of my outdoor Venus flytrap collection. Followed closely by spiders.
The circle of life!
Plants eating a predator fly (larvae), which eats a plant eating (sucking) insect.

Likes Keith_McClary and BigDon
My new world pitcher plants have a much more varied diet.

And are the only carnivorous plants I have that regularly consume flies. Mainly blowflies drawn in when the traps get full.

Oh, a word of advice. Never, never, proclaim, "And I had to switch to carnivorous plant keeping after my second stroke because it's an order of magnitude less work that tropical fish keeping.", to the owner of a carnivorous plant nursery in front of a greenhouse full of his employees.

They all came to a stop and looked at me.

Seems to hurt people's feelings it does.

• Haha
Likes atyy, hutchphd and BillTre
My all time favorites though are the sundews. Carnivorous flypaper.

Especially the cape sundews. I have a LOT of observations of those I'd like to relate.

Which would take more time than I have at the moment as my brothers are due in for Friday night movie night. But it's next on the list of "planned postings". :smile:

1620430530131.png

Aphids, sure... but what's it going to swallow whole when it grows up...

Kill it now while you still can.

1620430248618.png

Likes BillTre and hutchphd
Um, wrong end sir.

The mouth is at the small end.

( :smile: )

Likes atyy, BillTre and hutchphd
BigDon said:
Um, wrong end sir.

The mouth is at the small end.

( :smile: )
Yes, I very effectively understood that backwards, didn't I?

It's mouth migrates during adolescence. It's part flounder.

• Haha
Likes atyy and BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
Kill it now while you still can.
Lol. . . looks like the Planet Killer. . 😱
1620495641631.png

The Doomsday Machine . . . . 😏

That's been "back canoned" to a purpose built Anti-Borg weapon that wandered off.

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
Don't forget:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 5.21.07 PM.png

And its relatives:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 5.21.40 PM.png

BillTre said:
Don't forget:
1620531977925.png
1620531952092.png

Mr. Tre, you forgot the Great Dholes.

Truly omnivorous, they eventually leave a planet's crust riddled with tunnels like shipworms eating a pine log.

1. What is an aphid predator?

An aphid predator is a type of insect that feeds on aphids, which are small, sap-sucking insects that can cause damage to plants. These predators play an important role in controlling aphid populations in agricultural and natural settings.

2. How do I identify an aphid predator?

Aphid predators can vary in appearance, but they are generally small, elongated insects with long legs and antennae. They may be green, brown, or black in color and have a slender body shape. Some common examples of aphid predators include ladybugs, lacewings, and hoverflies.

3. Are aphid predators beneficial to plants?

Yes, aphid predators are beneficial to plants as they help to control aphid populations. Aphids can cause damage to plants by sucking their sap and transmitting diseases. By preying on aphids, these predators help to keep their numbers in check and protect plants from harm.

4. How do aphid predators hunt and feed?

Aphid predators use various methods to hunt and feed on aphids. Ladybugs and lacewings have strong mandibles that they use to chew and consume aphids. Some species of hoverflies lay their eggs near aphid colonies, and the larvae that hatch out feed on the aphids. Other predators, such as parasitic wasps, lay their eggs inside aphids, which eventually kills them.

5. Can I introduce aphid predators into my garden?

Yes, you can introduce aphid predators into your garden to help control aphid populations. Ladybugs, lacewings, and hoverflies are all commercially available and can be purchased online or at garden centers. It is important to research which predators are native to your area and which are most effective against the specific types of aphids in your garden.

Back