I think I ended up in the wrong Laboratory? (Theoretical Cosmology)

In summary, the speaker is currently in a theoretical cosmology lab for grad school but realizes they may have made a mistake and would rather be in a different field. They feel overwhelmed and unsure of their abilities, but are considering the options of staying in the lab for a masters degree or transferring to a different research group. They are hesitant to talk to their supervisor about their concerns.
harutsuki
TL;DR Summary: I dont enjoy my lab subject.

I am currently in grad school (not US) and in the theoretical Cosmology laboratory, however I feel like I ended up in the wrong side.

I did undergrad research project in astrophysical data simulation and thought that this is what I want to do in future too, however my dumb self applied for the theoretical side. I don't enjoy studying all day. I spend my whole day studying, even weekends and feel like I am reaching nowhere. I don't like Quantum Field Theory. I like GR and Particle side though but I feel rushed to learn everything at once (I am 3 months in).

I see other friends of mine in the same department, who are already doing research and feel like I will never be able to do that, because I would rather just code (which I do as a hobby) than spend hours studying the same thing and understand nothing. I think its just because I am too dumb for theoretical Physics, even if I was capable of learning it I would do that with the pace of a tortoise.

I am in good terms with my supervisor however I know he definitely thinks I am dumb(which I am for theoretical). I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't like what you are doing, do something else.

But if you don't like QFT, there is probably no branch of physics where you can earn a PhD without it.

• Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu and malawi_glenn
Vanadium 50 said:
But if you don't like QFT, there is probably no branch of physics where you can earn a PhD without it.
That is not correct. There are plenty of subfields that do not require QFT.

Likes Wrichik Basu and andresB
I disagree. Partly, most if not all graduate programs require it. And partly because most subfields do need it: consensed matter? Yup. Nuclear? Yup. High energy? Yup. AMO? Sure. That's Phys. Rev. A, B, C aand D right there.

Even if one's research doesn't directly use QFT, there is an expectation that a physicist knows it - just like there is an expectation they know QM, E&M, Lagrangian Mechanics, etc.

• Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu, Frabjous and symbolipoint
harutsuki said:
I am currently in grad school (not US) ....

... but I feel rushed to learn everything at once (I am 3 months in).

I am in good terms with my supervisor however I know he definitely thinks I am dumb(which I am for theoretical). I don't know what to do.
You are not in the US; you are only 3 months in; you've realized you've made a mistake. What are the options at your university? Are you allowed to transfer to another research group, assuming you find a supervisor who's willing to take you, and whose research is more to your liking?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you don't like what you are doing, do something else.

Really? I thought the experimental or observational astrophysicists/cosmologists didn't need it. That is what I was going for in the beginning.

CrysPhys said:
You are not in the US; you are only 3 months in; you've realized you've made a mistake. What are the options at your university? Are you allowed to transfer to another research group, assuming you find a supervisor who's willing to take you, and whose research is more to your liking?
I think in principle you can change, but I am not sure if I will be allowed to, it would require me to first tell about it to my supervisor, which I am very scared about tbh. Even if he does give me an ok, idk if other supervisor would be willing to take me in. I basically have two options, one is to suck it in and get a masters in this lab itself and then go to job, later I can apply to phd elsewhere, or change labs to go to an observational lab which can go a bit out of track for me.

We have all done projects and courses we did not enjoy. But that is life. If you can finish this project, you will come out better and more prepared for the "real life" than what you would have done otherwise.

Likes berkeman and Astronuc
harutsuki said:
I think in principle you can change, but I am not sure if I will be allowed to, it would require me to first tell about it to my supervisor, which I am very scared about tbh. Even if he does give me an ok, idk if other supervisor would be willing to take me in. I basically have two options, one is to suck it in and get a masters in this lab itself and then go to job, later I can apply to phd elsewhere, or change labs to go to an observational lab which can go a bit out of track for me.
One key point: If you were to stay in your current program, how long (approximately) would it take to complete your master's? There's a difference between weathering a temporary rough patch with resilience and fortitude ... and sinking in a good chunk of time on a lost cause just to prove you can do it. Unfortunately at the time it's often not clear what scenario you're in.

Another approach would be to talk to your department chairman, and clarify what your options are. I'm in the US; and physics grad school is substantially different here than in many other countries, in that grad students typically enter a PhD program upon completion of a bachelor's program. I've known maybe 6 or so students who changed research groups after a year or two, for whatever reasons. But you need to verify the particular policies at your particular university.

harutsuki said:
I thought the experimental or observational astrophysicists/cosmologists didn't need it.
Experimental physicists are physicists. Not lab technicians. Where the noble semi-skilled laborers execute the visions of those who think and dream - the oompa-loompas of science.

Last edited by a moderator:
CrysPhys said:
One key point: If you were to stay in your current program, how long (approximately) would it take to complete your master's? There's a difference between weathering a temporary rough patch with resilience and fortitude ... and sinking in a good chunk of time on a lost cause just to prove you can do it. Unfortunately at the time it's often not clear what scenario you're in.

Another approach would be to talk to your department chairman, and clarify what your options are. I'm in the US; and physics grad school is substantially different here than in many other countries, in that grad students typically enter a PhD program upon completion of a bachelor's program. I've known maybe 6 or so students who changed research groups after a year or two, for whatever reasons. But you need to verify the particular policies at your particular university.
It would take me 2 years to complete a masters degree. I have heard about changing laboratories when students go from masters to phd, however I dont think my uni supports the changing of labs in the middle. It would probably result in me in the wrong reputation and I dont know if I wanna take the risk.

As you said it could be a rough patch for me, I have honestly been overwhelmed by all the new concepts and my pace is very slow which has been giving me anxiety. I dont know if its that case for me or if I really am not capable of doing cosmology. One thing I know for sure is that these 3 months I have spent a lot of time everyday studying and I still feel like I am making no progress and thats the part that is scaring me out because 3 months is a lot of time.

harutsuki said:
TL;DR Summary: I dont enjoy my lab subject.

I am currently in grad school (not US) and in the theoretical Cosmology laboratory, however I feel like I ended up in the wrong side.

I did undergrad research project in astrophysical data simulation and thought that this is what I want to do in future too, however my dumb self applied for the theoretical side. I don't enjoy studying all day. I spend my whole day studying, even weekends and feel like I am reaching nowhere. I don't like Quantum Field Theory. I like GR and Particle side though but I feel rushed to learn everything at once (I am 3 months in).

I see other friends of mine in the same department, who are already doing research and feel like I will never be able to do that, because I would rather just code (which I do as a hobby) than spend hours studying the same thing and understand nothing. I think its just because I am too dumb for theoretical Physics, even if I was capable of learning it I would do that with the pace of a tortoise.

If this is truly how you feel, then have an honest conversation with your advisor ASAP and together, figure out a better match for your interests. I often have students who, once they get some hands-on experience with my research, realize that they actually prefer other approaches: computational, for example. I'd rather they move on and find a better match than suffer and eventually quit.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Vanadium 50 said:
I disagree. Partly, most if not all graduate programs require it. And partly because most subfields do need it: consensed matter? Yup. Nuclear? Yup. High energy? Yup. AMO? Sure. That's Phys. Rev. A, B, C aand D right there.

Even if one's research doesn't directly use QFT, there is an expectation that a physicist knows it - just like there is an expectation they know QM, E&M, Lagrangian Mechanics, etc.
Just because QFT has found applications in many subfields, it does not follow that all research in those subfields requires expertise in QFT. In addition, while some research activities do require QFT, students can often get involved in those efforts without having prior expertise in QFT: for example, running Quantum Espresso or VASP.

Likes Wrichik Basu, Haborix and Frabjous
Sure, but if we required a subject to be useful to 100% of the people who take it before we taught it, our classrooms would be mighty empty.

QFT of some sort is required for every doctoral program I am aware of, and for good reason.

Likes malawi_glenn
Vanadium 50 said:
Accelerator physics? PRAB?

Fine. You;ve chased me out of this thread. Good luck finding a physics PhD program that does not require some understanding of QFT,

Wrichik Basu said:
Accelerator physics? PRAB?

Quantum Field Theory is a pretty all-encompassing subject but admits various levels of understanding. All realms of physics do not require the same facility with the subject, but it is part of the standard toolbox..
Please, what is PRAB??.........BTW...... IHA (I Hate Acronyms....)

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn and Wrichik Basu
harutsuki said:
It would take me 2 years to complete a masters degree. I have heard about changing laboratories when students go from masters to phd, however I dont think my uni supports the changing of labs in the middle. It would probably result in me in the wrong reputation and I dont know if I wanna take the risk.

As you said it could be a rough patch for me, I have honestly been overwhelmed by all the new concepts and my pace is very slow which has been giving me anxiety. I dont know if its that case for me or if I really am not capable of doing cosmology. One thing I know for sure is that these 3 months I have spent a lot of time everyday studying and I still feel like I am making no progress and thats the part that is scaring me out because 3 months is a lot of time.
You keep making assumptions about options <not> available to you. Don't assume; talk to someone! If you're too hesitant to talk to your supervisor, find out what other resources are available. At major US universities, besides the department chair, there usually is a dean of grad student affairs, or grad student peer counselors, who can discreetly ask questions on your behalf. Check what's available at your particular university.

Also, you keep dwelling on the risk associated with you taking action. But what about the risk associated with you not taking action? Do you really want to potentially end up wasting two years of your time and of your supervisor's time? And even if you should squeak by and complete your master's, will you be well grounded to launch a PhD program?

Likes romsofia, hutchphd and Wrichik Basu
hutchphd said:
Please, what is PRAB??
Physical Review Accelerators and Beams.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and hutchphd
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

After some small edits, thread is reopened.

harutsuki said:
I am very scared about tbh.
It sounds like you're living too far in the future and that is causing some anxiety. You have to talk to your advisor. Once you do that you will ACTUALLY know what options you have available to you.

Only good can come from this conversation, which you might not be able to recognize due to your current anxiety!

But, I will simply echo CrysPhys advice: TALK! Life will be easier after that.

I believe its maybe a cultural thing in regards to trying to switch supervisors. Ie., the OP is most likely from Japan from the user name, and not studying in the US. My gf was reading was reading over my shoulders when glancing in the thread, and she said its a bit taboo (she is Japanese and studied there)

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is theoretical cosmology?

Theoretical cosmology is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and theories to study the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

2. How can someone end up in the wrong laboratory for theoretical cosmology?

There are many different types of laboratories and research facilities, and it is possible for someone to accidentally enter the wrong one. Additionally, some laboratories may have multiple research areas, and someone may mistakenly enter the area for theoretical cosmology instead of their intended destination.

3. What are the potential consequences of ending up in the wrong laboratory for theoretical cosmology?

The consequences may vary depending on the specific laboratory and situation. In some cases, it may simply be a minor inconvenience or misunderstanding. However, if the individual is not authorized to be in the laboratory or interferes with ongoing research, there may be more serious consequences.

4. How can one avoid ending up in the wrong laboratory for theoretical cosmology?

If you are unsure of which laboratory or research area you are supposed to be in, it is best to double-check with someone in charge or ask for directions. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the layout of the facility and the different research areas can help prevent confusion.

5. What should someone do if they realize they have ended up in the wrong laboratory for theoretical cosmology?

The best course of action would be to calmly and politely explain the situation to someone in charge and ask for assistance in finding the correct location. It is important to respect the work and research being done in the laboratory and not interfere with any ongoing experiments or studies.