I think my AP review book has an error. Can someone check?

In summary, the conversation discusses the final speed of an object sliding down a frictionless ramp of angle θ on a planet with twice the gravitational acceleration as Earth. While the book suggests using the equation v = vo + (a)(t), the speaker argues that v2 = (v0)2 +(2)(a)(Δx) may be necessary to solve the problem. The final conclusion is that using the latter equation and plugging in 2gsinθ instead of gsinθ will result in a final speed increase of √2, but the book solution states that the answer is 2. The speaker agrees with this solution.
Dennis Heerlein

Homework Statement

An object of mass m is allowed to slide down a frictionless ramp of angle θ and its speed at the bottom is recorded as v. If this same process was followed on a planet with twice the gravitational acceleration as Earth, what would be its final speed?

Homework Equations

The book used v = vo + (a)(t) to solve, but since it's based on distance, isn't v2 = (v0)2 +(2)(a)(Δx) necessary to solve it?

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the latter equation, simply plugging in 2gsinθ instead of gsinθ, v will increase by a factor of √2; the book solution however says the answer is 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you.

Likes Dennis Heerlein

1. Why do you think your AP review book has an error?

As a scientist, I always verify information and data. While studying from my AP review book, I noticed something that did not align with what I have learned or seen before. This led me to question the accuracy of the book.

2. How can you be sure that there is an error in your AP review book?

I have double-checked the information with other sources such as textbooks, online resources, and notes from my class. I have also consulted with my peers and teachers to confirm my suspicion.

3. What should I do if I find an error in my AP review book?

If you are certain that there is an error in your AP review book, you can contact the publisher or author to report the mistake. They may be able to provide a correction or updated edition of the book.

4. Is it common for AP review books to have errors?

While it is not common, errors can occur in any published material. This is why it is important to always verify information from multiple sources.

5. Can I still trust the rest of the information in my AP review book?

One error does not necessarily mean that the entire book is unreliable. However, it is always important to critically evaluate information and corroborate it with other sources to ensure accuracy.