1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I think this is another momentum question

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1
    i really have no clue what to do in this problem since theres a measurement for the dent...what formula am i supposed to use for this????

4. During an autumn storm, a 0.012kg hail stone traveling at 20.0m/s made a 0.20 cm deep dent in the hood of Darnell’s new car. What average force did the car exert to stop the damaging hail stone?
    so far i understand:
    mass= .012kg
    velocity= 20 m/s
    and then theres the .20 cm deep dent but i dun knoe whats that need for?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2
    You could probably use momentum or kinematics, but the work-energy theorem is a better place to start

4. Nov 21, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you describe, in detail, the trajectory that the hailstone has travelled, and everything that's happened to it?

5. Nov 21, 2006 #4
    Would it be right to use v^2=-2*a*s to find the acceleration and then force

If you do not know v^2=u^2+2as try to derive it using:

v=u+at

s=ut+at^2/2

6. Nov 22, 2006 #5
    But its a lot easier with energy. W=-KE0
    Fd=KEo
    F=KEo/d=mv^2/2d
    Everything you need to plug in is given, using acceleration is reproving the work energy theorem with kinematics.

7. Nov 22, 2006 #6
    We had a similar problem in our physics class, but my physics teacher says the solution is incorrect.
    1) How long was the impact, if it traveled .2 cm at 20 m/s? (This is the part that is incorrect.)
    2) Ft=m(v_2-v_1)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?