I want to build an electronic device that transmits ultrasound

In summary: PF was a place where people could say whatever they wanted.moe, we don't say things like that here on the PF, even jokingly.sorry :(
JoshHolloway
I want to build an electronic device that transmits ultrasounds (I guess that is in the LF frequency range [?]).

Does anyone know where I can find a kit that creates ultrasounds?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Or does anyone know where I could find schematics of how to build something like that?

Last edited:
I guess what I really mean is an Ultrasound Pulse Generator.

Ultrasound is high frequency.

What do you want to do with it?

To shut a neighbors dog up! Essentially I want to build an electronic dog whistle.

Last edited:
I googled ultrtasonic transmitter kit, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ultrasonic+transmitter+kit

I'm not sure ultrasound will work for quieting the neighbor's dog, though. There are more conventional ways to do that, including talking to the neighbor. And in the end if nothing else works, at least in the US, there is small claims court where you can keep taking the owner to court and winning judgements against them. Talking to the neighbor to work things out usually works, though.

berkeman said:
I'm not sure ultrasound will work for quieting the neighbor's dog, though. There are more conventional ways to do that, including talking to the neighbor. And in the end if nothing else works, at least in the US, there is small claims court where you can keep taking the owner to court and winning judgements against them. Talking to the neighbor to work things out usually works, though.

Ya, but how fun is that? I really just want to build it.

JoshHolloway said:
So berkeman, could I build this thing and put a speaker on it to transmit the sound frequency at 24kHz?
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C6816

Nifty little widget. You don't connect an external speaker -- the piezo transducer elements are the silver round things that are included in the kit. That looks like a good starting point.

i think the neighbours are duff or they should know that the dog is noisy ...so i say u should << suggestion removed by berkeman >> tommorow morning ... isn't better lol...hey i am kiddin ... don't do it

Last edited by a moderator:
moe_3_moe said:
i think the neighbours are duff or they should know that the dog is noisy ...so i say u should << suggestion removed by berkeman >>tommorow morning ... isn't better lol...hey i am kiddin ... don't do it

moe, we don't say things like that here on the PF, even jokingly.

sorry :( i didn't know

1. What materials do I need to build an electronic device that transmits ultrasound?

To build an electronic device that transmits ultrasound, you will need a power source (such as a battery), a microcontroller or oscillator circuit, an ultrasonic transducer, and various electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and wires. You may also need a soldering iron and a circuit board to assemble the device.

2. How does an electronic device transmit ultrasound?

An electronic device transmits ultrasound using an ultrasonic transducer, which converts electrical energy into sound waves at frequencies beyond the range of human hearing. The transducer vibrates at a specific frequency determined by the electronic components, creating sound waves that travel through the air.

3. What is the range of frequencies for ultrasound transmission?

The range of frequencies for ultrasound transmission varies depending on the purpose of the device. For medical imaging, the range is typically between 2-18 MHz, while for industrial purposes it can be up to 100 MHz. Household devices like ultrasonic pest repellents typically use frequencies between 20-55 kHz.

4. What are some common applications of electronic devices that transmit ultrasound?

Electronic devices that transmit ultrasound have a variety of applications. Some common examples include medical imaging, industrial flaw detection, distance measurement, pest control, and even cleaning jewelry and other delicate items. They can also be used for non-destructive testing, detecting cracks or defects in materials without damaging them.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with electronic devices that transmit ultrasound?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with electronic devices that transmit ultrasound. It is important to use appropriate protective gear, such as earplugs, when working with high-frequency ultrasound to avoid potential hearing damage. Additionally, it is important to follow proper handling and usage instructions to avoid any potential injuries from the electrical components.