I want to live a simple life out in the country.

• Thread starter stickythighs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of living a simple life out in the country, with the main focus being on building a cabin and being self-sufficient. The potential concerns of living alone, including crime and safety, are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the differences between city and country living and the benefits of taking a break from technology and living in a secluded area.
stickythighs said:
How much would a septic tank cost? And how much would it cost to have it installed?

How much does it cost to have the septic tank emptied?

No idea how it looks alike in US, but here there are more and more systems installed without a septic tank, but with some kind of biological filters that purify the water so that it can be safely discarded. Such systems have limited capacity and you need to be careful about what chemicals you use for cleaning, but in general they seem to be cheaper in the long run, and you don't need to empty the tank.

Physics news on Phys.org
stickythighs said:
Turbo, what state do you live in?

Ok, so your property taxes are a little over $1,000 per year. So if I bought one acre and built a cabin on it, my property taxes would probably be less than $200 per year; correct?

$200/year- that's not bad.
You really have to start doing some homework because your assumptions are WAY off. You are not assessed taxes only on the land nor only on the building(s). The property value also goes up with each improvement, and you will be forced to get permits for each such improvement, so that 1) the municipality can ensure that the improvements are done to code and 2) they can log each improvement and increase the property valuation accordingly. An acre of unimproved land along a road is NOT going to be assessed the same as an acre of land with a gravel driveway, a drilled well, and an installed septic system and leach field. The first is an unimproved lot - the second is a ready-to-build house lot and its market value will be many thousands of dollars higher and will be taxed accordingly.

LOL. Howers!

stickythighs said:
I'm worried about what any homos would do if they found out I live alone out in my cabin in the middle of nowhere.

Oh. My. God.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: