I want to make a small particle accelerator for cheap.

In summary, the person is looking for a cheap way to make a small particle accelerator but it is not possible for someone with their level of knowledge. Building a particle accelerator requires working knowledge of high-voltage electricity and radiation, which can be dangerous. Without proper knowledge, it is not safe for the person or those around them. The thread has been locked due to safety concerns.
bball919
I am looking for a way to make a small particle accelerator for really cheap. I am in 8th grade and do not know a lot or have a lot of money but still want a project. if you have a pdf or other doc of plans that would be much appreciated thanks.

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
bball919 said:
I am looking for a way to make a small particle accelerator for really cheap.

This is impossible (given your level of knowledge) and dangerous.

Likes ISamson
I'm sorry but building a particle accelerator requires working knowledge of both high-voltage electricity and radiation, both of which can kill or injure you or someone else nearby. Without knowing how to safely work with these, you are putting yourself and others in danger. Unfortunately, we cannot teach you everything you need to know about how to safely work with electricity and radiation. It's just beyond the scope of this forum.

Thread locked due to safety concerns.

Likes ISamson and Wrichik Basu

1. How much will it cost to make a small particle accelerator?

The cost of making a small particle accelerator can vary depending on the materials and components used. On average, it can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. However, it is possible to build one for even cheaper by using recycled or salvaged materials.

2. What materials and components are needed to make a small particle accelerator?

To make a small particle accelerator, you will need a vacuum chamber, a source of particles (such as a radioactive material or a particle gun), an electromagnetic field generator, and a detector to measure the particles. Other materials such as high voltage power supplies, magnets, and copper wire may also be necessary.

3. What is the size and power of a small particle accelerator?

The size and power of a small particle accelerator can vary, but on average it can be a few feet in length and have a power of a few million electron volts (MeV). However, with proper design and optimization, it is possible to create a smaller and less powerful accelerator for cheaper.

4. What are the potential risks of building a small particle accelerator?

Building a small particle accelerator can come with potential risks, especially if you are using high voltage power supplies and radioactive materials. It is important to take proper safety precautions and wear protective gear when handling these components. Additionally, it is important to consult with experts and follow proper protocols to minimize any potential risks.

5. Can a small particle accelerator be used for any practical applications?

While small particle accelerators may not have the same power and capabilities as large, industrial accelerators, they can still be used for practical applications such as materials analysis, medical research, and even in the production of certain products. With proper design and optimization, small particle accelerators can be valuable tools for scientists and researchers.