I want to shoot people into outer space

• Thread starter hylander4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's transition from junior to senior year as a Physics major and their thoughts about their future career path. They mention considering engineering and graduate programs, as well as seeking advice on job opportunities in the space industry. The conversation also touches on the idea that promoting human space travel may require skills in politics or management rather than a specific degree.
hylander4
I'm currently transitioning from my junior to senior year as a Physics major at a decently ranked university. I've been thinking about my future a lot lately. I try to think out rational reasons to follow certain career paths--money, travel opportunities, intellectual stimulation--but then I'll just irrationally toss those career paths aside if they don't relate to human space travel in any way.

I'm thinking that engineering probably isn't the best root for me. Had I thought my undergraduate career through a bit further when I started, I probably would have majored in Aerospace Engineering. As it stands, though, most space-related engineering jobs seem to require an ABET certified Bachelor's degree (to become a Professional Engineer), and I'm not getting one of those in the near future.

Now, there are still a decent amount of job opportunities out there for me to shoot for with my physics degree, but they all seem so unique. I had been planning on attending a graduate program of some sort, but I don't which to choose because none of them would specifically qualify me for a majority of the non-engineer positions that are open right now.

Does anybody have experience searching for these types of jobs? Do you have any input on what graduate programs I should consider for after I get my BS in Physics? I'm also considering entering the job market as an undergraduate.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The future of human space travel primarily lies in space tourism. The future of science in space is robotic. See what job openings the new space tourism companies have and then figure out what path you need to take to qualify for those openings.

I am afraid you are going to find it will be aerospace engineering or maybe chemistry specializing in rocket fuels.

If you really want to promote human space travel I think you will be better off getting an MBA or degree in political science, and go into politics, marketing, or management.

The engineering parts of space travel were worked out decades ago. The issues that keep people from getting into space are political and economic. The other thing is that physics is a good undergraduate degree for this sort of thing. If you want to promote space travel, it will help a lot if you are a politician, but a politician that can do basic Newtonian physics.

twofish-quant said:
The engineering parts of space travel were worked out decades ago.

There's still plenty of research going on regarding space travel. Especially in propulsion and materials. But I agree that what's keeping us from going into space regularly is politics, and especially funding.

I understand your fascination with human space travel and the desire to be a part of it. However, it is important to approach your career choices rationally and consider the practical aspects as well. While your passion for space exploration is admirable, it is important to also consider other factors such as job opportunities and market demand.

With a physics degree, you have a strong foundation for pursuing a career in the space industry. There are many job opportunities in this field that do not necessarily require an engineering degree. You can consider roles such as a space scientist, research scientist, or data analyst. These positions would allow you to contribute to the field of space exploration while utilizing your physics background.

In terms of graduate programs, there are many options that could enhance your skills and knowledge in the space industry. Some programs to consider include astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and space studies. It would be beneficial to research these programs and see which aligns with your interests and career goals.

It is also worth considering entering the job market as an undergraduate. This would give you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and potentially network with professionals in the space industry. You can also continue to pursue a graduate degree while working in the field.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully consider your options and weigh the pros and cons before making any decisions. It is important to have a clear understanding of your goals and how different paths can help you achieve them. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

1. How is it possible to shoot people into outer space?

Shooting people into outer space is made possible through the use of rockets and spacecrafts. These vehicles are designed to carry people and equipment into space, and they use powerful engines to generate enough thrust to break free from Earth's gravity.

2. What kind of training do astronauts undergo before being shot into outer space?

Astronauts undergo rigorous training before being sent into outer space. This includes physical and mental training to prepare their bodies and minds for the demands of space travel. They also receive specialized training on how to operate the spacecraft and conduct experiments in space.

3. How do astronauts survive in outer space?

Astronauts survive in outer space by bringing their own supply of food, water, and oxygen with them on the spacecraft. They also wear specialized space suits that protect them from the harsh conditions of space, such as extreme temperatures and lack of air pressure.

4. How long does it take to reach outer space?

The time it takes to reach outer space varies depending on the type of spacecraft and its destination. For example, it takes about 8 minutes for a rocket to reach low Earth orbit, while it takes several months for a spacecraft to reach Mars.

5. What are the risks of shooting people into outer space?

Shooting people into outer space is a risky endeavor, as it involves leaving the safety of Earth's atmosphere and entering a harsh and unforgiving environment. Some risks include exposure to radiation, equipment malfunctions, and the potential for accidents during launch or reentry. However, these risks are carefully managed and reduced through extensive testing and safety protocols.