1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to shoot people into outer space!

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    I'm currently transitioning from my junior to senior year as a Physics major at a decently ranked university. I've been thinking about my future a lot lately. I try to think out rational reasons to follow certain career paths--money, travel opportunities, intellectual stimulation--but then I'll just irrationally toss those career paths aside if they don't relate to human space travel in any way.

I'm thinking that engineering probably isn't the best root for me. Had I thought my undergraduate career through a bit further when I started, I probably would have majored in Aerospace Engineering. As it stands, though, most space-related engineering jobs seem to require an ABET certified Bachelor's degree (to become a Professional Engineer), and I'm not getting one of those in the near future.

Now, there are still a decent amount of job opportunities out there for me to shoot for with my physics degree, but they all seem so unique. I had been planning on attending a graduate program of some sort, but I don't which to choose because none of them would specifically qualify me for a majority of the non-engineer positions that are open right now.

Does anybody have experience searching for these types of jobs? Do you have any input on what graduate programs I should consider for after I get my BS in Physics? I'm also considering entering the job market as an undergraduate.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    The future of human space travel primarily lies in space tourism. The future of science in space is robotic. See what job openings the new space tourism companies have and then figure out what path you need to take to qualify for those openings.

I am afraid you are going to find it will be aerospace engineering or maybe chemistry specializing in rocket fuels.

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    If you really want to promote human space travel I think you will be better off getting an MBA or degree in political science, and go into politics, marketing, or management.

The engineering parts of space travel were worked out decades ago. The issues that keep people from getting into space are political and economic. The other thing is that physics is a good undergraduate degree for this sort of thing. If you want to promote space travel, it will help a lot if you are a politician, but a politician that can do basic Newtonian physics.

5. Jun 26, 2011 #4
    There's still plenty of research going on regarding space travel. Especially in propulsion and materials. But I agree that what's keeping us from going into space regularly is politics, and especially funding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook