Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I wanted to know that what exactly is Knocking in an engine cylinder.

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    I wanted to know that what exactly is Knocking in an engine cylinder. I know it's a kind of a fault. But how and whole process leading to it is, what i want to know.
    Any reply will be well appreciated.

:D
    Yash

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2
  4. Jul 2, 2011 #3
    Re: Knocking

Thanks !!
    But, i was looking forward for some users self explained answer.

5. Jul 2, 2011 #4

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

it is DETONATION...big time problem and not good for the life of the engine.It is caused by ignition timing being advanced too much, over heating which causes vapor lock..i blew up aqn engine once when towing the race car trailer due to this.

6. Jul 2, 2011 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Wikipedia article sums it up very well, I'm not sure why you need anyone here to type out the same information. Read it, digest it, and if you still have questions come back and you'll get the help you need.

It's not only caused by advanced ignition timing, but can be caused by a mechanical fault, high boost pressure, high charge air temperature, low/high air fuel ratio (depending on fuel type), fuel with inadequate knock resistance and a few other factors. It's also normally the primary limitation on the rating of a spark ignition engine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook