I wanted to know that what exactly is Knocking in an engine cylinder.

  • Thread starter Thread starter cyborgyash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder Engine
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
cyborgyash
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I wanted to know that what exactly is Knocking in an engine cylinder. I know it's a kind of a fault. But how and whole process leading to it is, what i want to know.
Any reply will be well appreciated.

:D
Yash
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Thanks !
But, i was looking forward for some users self explained answer.
 


it is DETONATION...big time problem and not good for the life of the engine.It is caused by ignition timing being advanced too much, over heating which causes vapor lock..i blew up aqn engine once when towing the race car trailer due to this.
 


The Wikipedia article sums it up very well, I'm not sure why you need anyone here to type out the same information. Read it, digest it, and if you still have questions come back and you'll get the help you need.

It's not only caused by advanced ignition timing, but can be caused by a mechanical fault, high boost pressure, high charge air temperature, low/high air fuel ratio (depending on fuel type), fuel with inadequate knock resistance and a few other factors. It's also normally the primary limitation on the rating of a spark ignition engine.