I with this Circular Aperature Diffraction Problem please

In summary, the conversation discusses the separation between two lights and how it can be distinguished by an angle of at least theta = 1.22(wavelength)/(width of aperture), as well as the use of trigonometry to find the distance between the lights. The conversation also mentions the small angle approximation and potential errors in calculations.
AManFromSpace
Homework Statement
The headlights of a pickup truck are 1.15 m apart. What is the greatest distance at which these headlights can be resolved as separate points of light on a photograph taken with a camera whose aperture has a diameter of 13.5 mm? (Take wavelength = 531 nm.)
Relevant Equations
theta = 1.22*(wavelength)/(width of aperature0
I know that in order for the two lights to be distinguishable from one another they have to be separated by an angle of at least theta = 1.22(wavelength)/(width of aperture). I tried drawing the given picture below and then using trig to find L in terms of d/2 and theta/2. However, this ended up not being the right answer, so now I am confused as to what to do next. Am I solving this in the correct way or is there something I'm missing?

Attachments

• Lon Capa Question 1.jpg
    Lon Capa Question 1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
What answer did you get?

AManFromSpace said:
Relevant Equations:: theta = 1.22*(wavelength)/(width of aperature0

##~\dots~## and then using trig to find L in terms of d/2 and theta/2.
Why divide by 2? When L >> d the distance between headlights is, to a very good approximation, the same as an arc on a circle of radius L. How is the angle Δθ subtended by the arc related to the radius?

kuruman said:
Why divide by 2? When L >> d the distance between headlights is, to a very good approximation, the same as an arc on a circle of radius L. How is the angle Δθ subtended by the arc related to the radius?
@AManFromSpace used both the half angle and the half separation (see diagram), so the halving cancels out in the approximation.

haruspex said:
What answer did you get?
I got around 137300 meters

You haven’t shown all your working, which limits the amount of help we can provide. For example, you may have mixed up degrees and radians in your calculation.

And, to save you work, you may want to remember/use the ‘small angle approximation’: for a small angle (##\theta## expressed in radians), ##\theta ≈ tan(\theta) ≈ sin(\theta)##.

haruspex said:
@AManFromSpace used both the half angle and the half separation (see diagram), so the halving cancels out in the approximation.
I was thinking that a factor of 2 could have been lost in the shuffle but it looks like a power of ten conversion problem.

What did you obtain for the value of ##\theta## ??

1. What is a Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem?

A Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave passes through a circular aperture or opening. The wave diffracts, or spreads out, causing a diffraction pattern to form. This is commonly observed in light waves, but can also occur with other types of waves, such as sound waves.

2. What causes a Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem?

A Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem is caused by the wavefront of a wave passing through a circular opening. The wavefront is disrupted by the edges of the aperture, causing the wave to spread out and form a diffraction pattern.

3. How is a Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem different from other types of diffraction?

A Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem is a specific type of diffraction that occurs when a wave passes through a circular opening. Other types of diffraction, such as single slit or double slit diffraction, occur when a wave passes through a narrow opening or between two closely spaced objects.

4. What are some real-life applications of Circular Aperture Diffraction?

Circular Aperture Diffraction is commonly observed in everyday life, such as when light passes through a small hole in a window or when sound waves pass through a circular opening in a speaker. It is also used in various scientific fields, such as in microscopy to improve resolution, and in radio astronomy to study the diffraction patterns of radio waves.

5. How can I solve a Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem?

Solving a Circular Aperture Diffraction Problem involves using mathematical equations, such as the Fresnel diffraction integral or the Bessel function, to calculate the diffraction pattern. This can be done using specialized software or by hand calculations. It is also important to consider the properties of the wave and the aperture, such as the wavelength and size of the aperture, in order to accurately solve the problem.