I would like to start a discussion involving how sound works.

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ymalmsteen887
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Discussion Sound Works
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
92 replies · 13K views


jarednjames said:
You are describing a water wave as a sine wave - transverse wave. Sound is not a transverse wave and so you can't describe it the same way as water is displaced in peaks and troughs.

You can describe sound as it would be represented as a sine wave but can't compare the motion of water molecules to air particles.

Are you going to respond or are we finished here? I'm not impatient I just thought you were wating for me to ask another question cause I was asking for clarification on my last comment.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Ok here is what I know so far sound is a pressure wave which is molecules vibrating back and forth and the wave is measured by the distance between two compressed or expanded areas.

Correct
Whats the next logical step before I can understand attenuation of different frequencies?

As per pythagoreans response.
 


jarednjames said:
Correct


As per pythagoreans response.

Well I mean can you explain it or are you telling me to read a book on it? I want to keep it simple right now.