1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law Chang ein VolumeProblem

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    I am having a little trouble on this problem:

Can I treat this as an Isobaric expansion and an Isothermal compression?

I think I found the change in Volume like this: [tex]\frac{\Delta V}{V_{0}}=\beta\Delta T[/tex]

How do I find the Pressure?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2
    well, I suppose you wish to find ΔP/ΔT, holding V constant,

so, consider P as a function of T and V, we know the partial derivatives relating to V, but not T. So consider, V=const (we are holding V constant), or V(T,P)=const, then

[tex]dV=\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P dT + \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_T dP=0[/tex]

so that:
    [tex]\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V=-\frac{\left(\partial V / \partial T\right)_P}{\left(\partial V/\partial P\right)_T}[/tex]

now, look at the definition of [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\kappa[/itex], what are they (hint: they are related to partial derivatives of V)?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  4. Jan 20, 2008 #3
    Thanks!

Thanks, I think I got it. I will now post the answer here for others.

[tex]\frac{dV}{dT} = \frac{\beta}{\kappa}[/tex]

therefore [tex] \Delta P = \frac{\beta}{\kappa}\Delta T [/tex]

P.S. Does the Tex function on this forum feature a way to represent the therefore symbol (i.e. a triangle of three dots)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?