Ideal Gas Law Chang ein VolumeProblem

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between volume expansion coefficient and isothermal compressibility in water at different temperatures. The question posed is how much pressure must be applied to prevent water from expanding when the temperature is increased from 20°C to 30°C. The solution involves considering P as a function of T and V, and using the definitions of β and κ to find the relationship between ΔP and ΔT. The answer is ΔP = (β/κ)ΔT. There is also a brief discussion about the use of the "therefore" symbol in the forum's Tex function.
Elzair
I am having a little trouble on this problem:

For Water at [tex]25^{\circ}C[/tex], (Volume Expansion Coefficient) [tex]\beta = 2.57 * 10^{-4}K^{-1} [/tex] and (Isothermal Compressibility) [tex]\kappa = 4.52*10^{-10}Pa^{-1}[/tex]. Suppose you increase the temperature of some water from [tex]20^{\circ}C[/tex] to [tex]30^{\circ}C[/tex]. How much Pressure must you apply to prevent it from expanding?

Can I treat this as an Isobaric expansion and an Isothermal compression?

I think I found the change in Volume like this: [tex]\frac{\Delta V}{V_{0}}=\beta\Delta T[/tex]

How do I find the Pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, I suppose you wish to find ΔP/ΔT, holding V constant,

so, consider P as a function of T and V, we know the partial derivatives relating to V, but not T. So consider, V=const (we are holding V constant), or V(T,P)=const, then

[tex]dV=\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P dT + \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P}\right)_T dP=0[/tex]

so that:
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V=-\frac{\left(\partial V / \partial T\right)_P}{\left(\partial V/\partial P\right)_T}[/tex]

now, look at the definition of [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\kappa[/itex], what are they (hint: they are related to partial derivatives of V)?

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks, I think I got it. I will now post the answer here for others.

[tex]\frac{dV}{dT} = \frac{\beta}{\kappa}[/tex]

therefore [tex] \Delta P = \frac{\beta}{\kappa}\Delta T [/tex]

P.S. Does the Tex function on this forum feature a way to represent the therefore symbol (i.e. a triangle of three dots)?

What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of an ideal gas under various conditions. It states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all related and can be calculated using the equation PV=nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

What is the purpose of the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is used to determine the state of a gas under different conditions. It can be used to calculate the pressure, volume, or temperature of a gas if the other two variables are known. It is also used in many scientific experiments and industrial processes to understand and control the behavior of gases.

What is the relationship between volume and pressure in the Ideal Gas Law?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, there is an inverse relationship between the volume and pressure of a gas. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as Boyle's Law and is represented by the equation PV=constant.

What happens to volume when pressure increases in the Ideal Gas Law?

If the pressure of a gas increases while the temperature and number of moles remain constant, the volume of the gas will decrease. This is because the gas molecules will be pushed closer together, resulting in a smaller volume. This relationship is described by Boyle's Law, as stated in the previous question.

How does temperature affect volume in the Ideal Gas Law?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, there is a direct relationship between temperature and volume. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, the volume also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as Charles' Law and is represented by the equation V/T=constant.