1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law- finding gas density

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the density of radon gas at 0 degrees C and 1 atmosphere?

2. Relevant equations

PV= nRT
    0 C = 273 K

density = mass/volume g/m^3

3. The attempt at a solution

I want density = g/m^3

Below are the units of PV = nRT. I thought that breaking it down would help me to see where the g's and the m^3 are- but so far its just confused me.

physicspressurething.jpg

I have been trying to manipulate PV = nRT so that the units eventually give me g/m^3. I think I got something close, but then realized that all I have to plug in is T and P. This is what I tried: P/R = nT/V Units end up: g/m^3 = 1/m^3 I'm not sure if that works out...

Nothing is changing so I can't cancel anything and then set up a proportion equation- What the heck do I do??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You won't find the answer with just PV=nRT. This is because mass of the gas molecules has no effect on P, V or T for an ideal gas.

Since density is mass/volume you need to relate mass to volume. What is the number of molecules per unit volume? What is the mass of a molecule of Radon gas?

AM

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    Thanks so much!!! I worked it out then referenced to the actual density of radon that I found online and it agrees :wink:

Thanks again AM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook