1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gas PV diagram heat transfer process

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a Pressure-Volume diagram of an ideal gas. The processes make up a (rough) triangle. At constant pressure, we have point A to point C to the right of it to point D to the right of C. Then above A we have point B. C goes to B and D goes to B.. thus forming something that resembles a triangle. C to B is adiabatic while D to B is isothermal.

2. Relevant equations
    deltaE = Q + W

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is just on one part of a larger problem: The professor in class deduced that the energy change from point A to B (vertical) is equal to the energy change from point A to D (horizontal).

Now, why is that? I understand that AD is doing more work than AC, which does more work than AB (which does no work since it doesn't have a change in volume). From just that work statement, he concluded that the deltaE(AB) = deltaE (AD).

I believe this small part will help unravel the confusion in the rest of the problem. Thanks :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to have one triangle: ABD the sides of which are straight lines and an adiabatic curve between B and C, C being a point between A and D.

I will assume you are looking at the change in internal energy. Do they give you the values of the changes in P from A to B and the changes in volume from A to C and A to D? If not, you cannot answer the question.

The internal energy is a function of temperature. So just work out the temperatures at B and at D using PV=nRT. If they are the same, then the internal energy is the same.

You know that the internal energy at B is greater than at A or C since the temperatures are lower at A and C (we know it is lower at C since AC is adiabatic, so there is work done by the gas in going from A to C but there is no heat flow into the gas).

AM

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    We are not given any numbers of any kind. It's meant to be a conceptual question and should be able to be answered conceptually, according to the professor.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4
    AB is a constant volume process where delta U=Q=Cv(T2-T1)

AD is a constant pressure process where delta U=Q-W; Q=Cv(T2-T1)+R(T2-T1) and W=R(T2-T1)

R is a constant

6. Sep 8, 2011 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I was confused by your description of the graph. It is an L shaped graph with two curves from the base to the top point (B). I missed the part about the graph from D to B being isothermal.

Since B and D are at the same temperature, there is no difference in internal energy between D and B. So going from A to B or A to D results in the same change in internal energy.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook