Ideal optical collimation system

In summary, the person is working on a project involving collecting light using optics from a FOV of 200x200mm at 200mm distance. They have two main problems: the detector is too small so they need to collimate the light, and they need to block out sunlight. They have attempted using a cheap fresnel lens and an optical filter but it was not effective. They are seeking ideas or pointers for making the light collimated and parallel. One suggestion is to use a flat mirror or a lens near the focus.
frankqt
Hi,

I have been stuck on a project that I am working on. I am trying to collect light using optics from a FOV of 200x200mm at 200mm distance. I have two major problems:

1. My detector is small so I need to collimate the light (my application is not imaging so I don't worry about the image), I need to reflect that FOV to a detector that is 2.5x2.5mm in size.

2. I need to block Sun out. I am using an optical filter but these filters are bad when it comes to angle of incidence.

Let me describe my current system. I have a cheap fresnel lens that has a 5mm FL and 10mm diameter. I use this to collect more light and send to detector and I put a filter in front of this Fresnel lens. The problem is the filter is not enough, It blocks sun ok however there is still quite a bit of sun comes in and introduces Shot noise. I like to make the light collimated so that I can pass through a very narrow band pass filter and kill the sun's impact almost all the frequencies except what I am interested.

I have considered ideas such as tapered rod, but this has the same problem as my current system. I need optics to make light collimated and parallel. Any ideas or pointers?

thx,
F.

Science news on Phys.org
Perhaps there is a language barrier but I really don't know what you are trying to say. You are trying to image something 200x200 mm to a detector of some kind that is 2.5x2.5 mm? Or is collimated light coming through an aperture that is 200x200 mm at a 200 mm distance, and you want to reduce the beam as in a telescope? You need to reflect a field of view, than in some way does or does not contain sunlight? The angle of incidence somehow affects whether or not a filter works? Perhaps if you included a sketch it would be clearer what you are trying to do.

frankqt said:
Hi,

I have been stuck on a project that I am working on. I am trying to collect light using optics from a FOV of 200x200mm at 200mm distance. I have two major problems:

1. My detector is small so I need to collimate the light (my application is not imaging so I don't worry about the image), I need to reflect that FOV to a detector that is 2.5x2.5mm in size.

2. I need to block Sun out. I am using an optical filter but these filters are bad when it comes to angle of incidence.

Let me describe my current system. I have a cheap fresnel lens that has a 5mm FL and 10mm diameter. I use this to collect more light and send to detector and I put a filter in front of this Fresnel lens. The problem is the filter is not enough, It blocks sun ok however there is still quite a bit of sun comes in and introduces Shot noise. I like to make the light collimated so that I can pass through a very narrow band pass filter and kill the sun's impact almost all the frequencies except what I am interested.

I have considered ideas such as tapered rod, but this has the same problem as my current system. I need optics to make light collimated and parallel. Any ideas or pointers?

thx,
F.

I used to make telescope optics, and we used a flat mirror in front of our scopes to autocollimate them. What I gather is that you have a lens focusing light on your sensor, but you'd like to collimate it near focus so that it is a compact beam. I think the simplest way to do this is place a lens near the focus. You might get away with using a telescope eyepiece, but if not you should be able to use the basic thin lens equation to find the focal length you need.

1. What is an ideal optical collimation system?

An ideal optical collimation system is a setup that allows for precise alignment and focusing of a beam of light. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications, such as in telescopes and laser systems.

2. How does an ideal optical collimation system work?

An ideal optical collimation system typically consists of a light source, a collimator lens, and a focusing lens. The collimator lens helps to create a parallel beam of light, while the focusing lens allows for fine-tuning of the beam's focus. This setup ensures that the light beam remains parallel and focused throughout its propagation.

3. What are the benefits of using an ideal optical collimation system?

An ideal optical collimation system has several benefits, including increased accuracy and precision in measurements, improved beam quality, and reduced scattering and attenuation of the light beam. It also allows for easier alignment and manipulation of the light beam, making it a valuable tool in scientific research and industrial applications.

4. Can an ideal optical collimation system be used with different types of light?

Yes, an ideal optical collimation system can be used with a variety of light sources, including visible light, infrared light, and ultraviolet light. The collimator and focusing lenses can be chosen based on the desired wavelength of light to achieve optimal results.

5. Are there any limitations to using an ideal optical collimation system?

While an ideal optical collimation system has many benefits, it does have some limitations. It requires careful alignment and calibration to ensure optimal performance, and it may be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, the use of highly divergent light sources may require additional components or modifications to the system.