1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to prove this (seemingly simple) property of Brownian motion

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [itex]B_t[/itex] is a Brownian motion. I want to show that if you fix [itex]t_0 \geq 0[/itex], then the process [itex]W_t = B_{t_0+t} - B_{t_0}[/itex] is also a Brownian motion.

2. Relevant equations
    Apparently, a stochastic process [itex]X_t[/itex] is a Brownian motion on [itex]\mathbb R^d[/itex] beginning at [itex]x\in \mathbb R^d[/itex] if it has finite-dimensional distributions given by the following mess (for [itex]0 \leq t_1 \leq \ldots \leq t_k[/itex]):

[tex]
    P(X_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,X_{t_k}\in F_k) = \int_{F_1 \times \cdots \times F_k} p(t_1,x,x_1)p(t_2-t_1,x_1,x_2)\ldots p(t_k - t_{k-1},x_{k-1},x_k)dx_1\ldots dx_k,
    [/tex]

where the [itex]F_j[/itex] are Borel subsets of [itex]\mathbb R^d[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] is given by

[tex]
    p(t,x,y) = (2\pi t)^{-(d/2)} \exp \left( -\frac{|x-y|^2}{2t} \right).
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    It makes sense that [itex]W_0 = 0[/itex], so I basically am trying to show that

[tex]
    P(W_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,W_{t_k}\in F_k) = \int_{F_1 \times \cdots \times F_k} p(t_1,0,y_1)p(t_2-t_1,y_1,y_2)\ldots p(t_k - t_{k-1},y_{k-1},y_k)dy_1\ldots dy_k.
    [/tex]

I'd like to do this by using the fact that [itex]B_t[/itex] has distributions that look like this. So I tried

[tex]
    P(W_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,W_{t_k}\in F_k) = P(B_{t_0 + t_1} - B_{t_0}\in F_1, \ldots B_{t_0 + t_k} - B_{t_0}\in F_k) = P(B_{t_0 + t_1} \in F_1 + B_{t_0}, \ldots B_{t_0 + t_k} \in F_k + B_{t_0}),
    [/tex]

where [itex]F_j + B_{t_0}[/itex] is just the translate of the Borel set [itex]F_j[/itex] by the vector [itex]B_{t_0}[/itex]. But I'm not sure I can do this, first of all; and second of all, I'm not sure it helps me, because I then would like to make a change of variables to massage the integral I then get. By the observation I just made above, I have

[tex]
    P(W_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,W_{t_k}\in F_k) = \int_{(F_1 + B_{t_0}) \times \cdots (F_k + B_{t_0})} p(t_0 + t_1,x,x_1) \cdots p(t_{k} - t_{k-1},x_{k-1},x_k)dx_1\ldots dx_k.
    [/tex]

So I want to change variables and set [itex]y_j = x_j - B_{t_0}[/itex] to get those pesky [itex]B_{t_0}[/itex]'s out of the integral. But that doesn't help me with the term [itex]p(t_0 + t_1,x,x_1)[/itex]. I need that to read something like [itex]p(t_1,y,y_1)[/itex], but I really do not see how to get rid of the [itex]t_0[/itex]...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2
    Hmmm...well, at least I don't feel so bad about not having gotten this now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook