What are some practical applications of linear algebra in electrical circuits?

• Thread starter hotcommodity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, the author is working on a project to show linear algebras applications in electrical circuits, but he is having difficulty finding other applications without using differential equations or higher mathematics. If you are interested in helping him, you might try some of the recommended reading.
hotcommodity
I'm working on a project to show linear algebras applications in electrical circuits. I don't have a lot of experience with circuits, and I don't have any experience with differential equations, so I'm not quite sure how slim my options are.

Anyways, I've found out how to use augmented matrices to find loop currents, and now I've hit a wall so to speak. I've googled for ideas online but some are either too intense or not applicable. We're just starting eigenvectors, so I barely know how to work those. But if you can think of anything that I could expand on in my project given my circumstances, I would appreciate hearing them, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Recommended reading

hotcommodity said:
I'm working on a project to show linear algebras applications in electrical circuits. I don't have a lot of experience with circuits, and I don't have any experience with differential equations, so I'm not quite sure how slim my options are.

You might try Bollobas, Graph Theory: an Introductory Course, one of the finest math textbooks ever written, in fact it sometimes frustrates me that American high school students read Dickens or Hawthorne instead of Bollobas, from whom they'd probably learn much more about the way the world works. This is a graduate textbook but it has no prerequisites other than mathematical maturity.

If you are interested in the connections with homology theory and physics you can try the undergraduate textbook A Course In Mathematics For Students Of Physics by Paul Bamberg and Shlomo Sternberg.

As for the particular place where you got stuck, you can try the superb but unfortunately out of print undergraduate textbook Introduction To Finite Mathematics, by John G. Kemeny, J. Laurie Snell and Gerald L. Thompson. Kemeny was a highly influential university president, programmer (think BASIC), and early in his career was the last collaborator of Albert Einstein.

Last edited:
The books in the above post sound like a good summer read, and I appreciate the suggestions, but my project is due in 2 weeks. I understand how to find loop currents using matrices, but I'm having a hard time finding other applications without using differential equations, or higher mathematics...

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It studies how to solve and manipulate systems of linear equations using matrices and vectors.

2. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, machine learning, and data analysis. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve complex systems.

3. How is linear algebra related to circuits?

Linear algebra is essential in analyzing and designing electrical circuits. It is used to model the behavior of electric currents and voltages in circuits and to determine the optimal values of resistors, capacitors, and other components.

4. What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a closed loop that allows electricity to flow through it. It consists of a power source, such as a battery, and various electrical components, such as resistors, capacitors, and switches. When a circuit is closed, the power source creates a voltage difference that causes electric current to flow through the components, producing the desired result.

5. How can I improve my understanding of circuits through linear algebra?

Linear algebra can help you understand circuits by providing a mathematical framework for analyzing and solving circuit problems. By using techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and nodal analysis, you can apply linear algebra concepts to circuits and gain a deeper understanding of their behavior.