1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying Types of Singularity in Differential Equations

1. Nov 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identify the type of singularity at x=0 for these differential equations

x*Sin[1/x]*y''[x]+y[x]==0

x^2*y''[x]+Sin[1/x]*y[x]==0

2. Relevant equations
    A Singular point is regular if f(x)(x-x_0)^n is defined as x approaches x_0 and is analytic in a near a neighborhood of that singular point. It is irregular if this doesn't hold.

3. The attempt at a solution

x/(Sin[1/x]) x is analytic at x=0 and around x=0 to see if this was a regular or irregular singularity. So I wrote out the Taylor series of Sin[x] and plugged in for x 1/x. After doing the it appeared that as x goes to zero x/Sin[1/x] went to zero so I said it was a regular singularity, I also identified other singular points at 1/(Pi*n) where n is a integer. Using the same process for the other ODE I found that as x goes to zero (x^2/(Sin[1/x)]))x^2 does not converge as x goes to zero thus it is a irregular singularity. Can anyone tell me if my approach was right and if my answers were right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2016 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What did you do about all the divisions by 0?

4. Nov 13, 2016 #3
    The series looks like x/(1/x -1/x^3+1/x^5...) so as x goes to zero the numerator goes to zero and the denominator increases without bound because of all of the (1/x) terms. So in my head I was like zero over infinity is zero.

5. Nov 13, 2016 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For every x = 1/nπ, x / sin(1/x) = (1/nπ) / ( sin(nπ) ) = (1/nπ) / 0. That is a series of points of x approaching 0 where the function is undefined.

6. Nov 13, 2016 #5
    Yes Sin[1/x] as x goes to zero is undefined. However Sin[1/x] ranges between as -1,0 and 1. Also as x/(Sin[x+Pi]) as x goes to zero approaches negative -1. Hmm now that I think I think about it is un defined right because it will go between 0 and -1 right. So it is irregular point right?

7. Nov 13, 2016 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Think about "is analytic in a neighborhood of that singular point." Is that true?

8. Nov 13, 2016 #7
    No because Sin[1/z] at z=0 is not a isolated singularity so it isn't analytic in in a neighborhood of z or in this case x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted