• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Identifying Types of Singularity in Differential Equations

• Thread starter QFT25
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Identify the type of singularity at x=0 for these differential equations

x*Sin[1/x]*y''[x]+y[x]==0

x^2*y''[x]+Sin[1/x]*y[x]==0

2. Homework Equations
A Singular point is regular if f(x)(x-x_0)^n is defined as x approaches x_0 and is analytic in a near a neighborhood of that singular point. It is irregular if this doesn't hold.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

x/(Sin[1/x]) x is analytic at x=0 and around x=0 to see if this was a regular or irregular singularity. So I wrote out the Taylor series of Sin[x] and plugged in for x 1/x. After doing the it appeared that as x goes to zero x/Sin[1/x] went to zero so I said it was a regular singularity, I also identified other singular points at 1/(Pi*n) where n is a integer. Using the same process for the other ODE I found that as x goes to zero (x^2/(Sin[1/x)]))x^2 does not converge as x goes to zero thus it is a irregular singularity. Can anyone tell me if my approach was right and if my answers were right?

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
What did you do about all the divisions by 0?
The series looks like x/(1/x -1/x^3+1/x^5...) so as x goes to zero the numerator goes to zero and the denominator increases without bound because of all of the (1/x) terms. So in my head I was like zero over infinity is zero.

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
The series looks like x/(1/x -1/x^3+1/x^5...) so as x goes to zero the numerator goes to zero and the denominator increases without bound because of all of the (1/x) terms. So in my head I was like zero over infinity is zero.
For every x = 1/nπ, x / sin(1/x) = (1/nπ) / ( sin(nπ) ) = (1/nπ) / 0. That is a series of points of x approaching 0 where the function is undefined.

For every x = 1/nπ, x / sin(1/x) = (1/nπ) / ( sin(nπ) ) = (1/nπ) / 0. That is a series of points of x approaching 0 where the function is undefined.
Yes Sin[1/x] as x goes to zero is undefined. However Sin[1/x] ranges between as -1,0 and 1. Also as x/(Sin[x+Pi]) as x goes to zero approaches negative -1. Hmm now that I think I think about it is un defined right because it will go between 0 and -1 right. So it is irregular point right?

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Think about "is analytic in a neighborhood of that singular point." Is that true?

Think about "is analytic in a neighborhood of that singular point." Is that true?
No because Sin[1/z] at z=0 is not a isolated singularity so it isn't analytic in in a neighborhood of z or in this case x.