1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have [itex]$\int \nabla^2 \vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} dV$[/itex] where u and v are velocities integrated over a volume. I want to perform integration by parts so that the derivative orders are the same. This is the Galerkin method.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found identities involving [itex]$\nabla \vec{u}$[/itex] and [itex]$\nabla \vec{v}$[/itex] as a tensor scalar product and I have tried to work out a product rule:
    [itex]$\nabla \cdot (\vec{v} \cdot \nabla \vec{u}) = \nabla \vec{u} : \nabla \vec{v} = \nabla^2 \vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}$[/itex].

I am having trouble figuring out if this is correct. I know i have scalars on the right hand side. On the left hand side I have the divergence of a vector dotted with a tensor, which I think will lead to a scalar.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thank you,
    dakg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2
    Is it Green's First Identity that I need? Does it hold for vectors?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook