Prove Laplacian of Dyad: Indicial Notation

• Thread starter ganondorf29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplacian
In summary, the Laplacian of Dyad in indicial notation is a mathematical operation used in vector calculus to describe the behavior of vector fields. It is calculated by taking the scalar product of the gradient operator and the divergence of the vector field and is commonly used in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. In Cartesian coordinates, it can be written as the Laplacian operator acting on the vector field, but it can also be written in other coordinate systems such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates.
ganondorf29

Homework Statement

[/B]
Given the dyad formed by two arbitrary position vector fields, u and v, use indicial notation in Cartesian coordinates to prove:

$$\nabla^2 ({\vec u \vec v}) = \vec v \nabla^2 {\vec u} + \vec u \nabla^2 {\vec v} + 2\nabla {\vec u} \cdot {(\nabla \vec v)}^T
$$

Homework Equations

[/B]
Per my professor's notes, the Laplacian of a dyad (also a tensor) is given as:
$$
\nabla^2 {\mathbf {S}} = \nabla \cdot {S_{ij,k} \mathbf{e_{i}e_{j}e_{k}}} = S_{ij,kk} \mathbf{e_{i}e_{j}}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
$$
\nabla^2 {\mathbf {uv}} = (u_{i}v_{j})_{,kk} = u_{i,kk}v_{j} + u_{i}v_{j,kk} \\
u_{i,kk}v_{j} + u_{i}v_{j,kk} = \vec v \nabla^2 {\vec u} + \vec u \nabla^2 {\vec v}
$$I don't know where the following terms come from:
$$
2\nabla {\vec u} \cdot {(\nabla \vec v)}^T
$$

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel that I am missing a step or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
ganondorf29 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Given the dyad formed by two arbitrary position vector fields, u and v, use indicial notation in Cartesian coordinates to prove:

$$\nabla^2 ({\vec u \vec v}) = \vec v \nabla^2 {\vec u} + \vec u \nabla^2 {\vec v} + 2\nabla {\vec u} \cdot {(\nabla \vec v)}^T
$$

Homework Equations

[/B]
Per my professor's notes, the Laplacian of a dyad (also a tensor) is given as:
$$
\nabla^2 {\mathbf {S}} = \nabla \cdot {S_{ij,k} \mathbf{e_{i}e_{j}e_{k}}} = S_{ij,kk} \mathbf{e_{i}e_{j}}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
$$
\nabla^2 {\mathbf {uv}} = (u_{i}v_{j})_{,kk} = u_{i,kk}v_{j} + u_{i}v_{j,kk} \\
u_{i,kk}v_{j} + u_{i}v_{j,kk} = \vec v \nabla^2 {\vec u} + \vec u \nabla^2 {\vec v}
$$I don't know where the following terms come from:
$$
2\nabla {\vec u} \cdot {(\nabla \vec v)}^T
$$

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel that I am missing a step or something.
I'm not good with coordinates, so I leave this up to you.
But ##\nabla (\mathbf{u}\mathbf{v}) = \mathbf{u}(\nabla \mathbf{v}) + (\nabla \mathbf{u})\mathbf{v}## and the next differentiation gives you the third term (twice).

1. What is the Laplacian of Dyad in indicial notation?

The Laplacian of Dyad in indicial notation is a mathematical operation used in vector calculus to describe the behavior of vector fields. It is represented by the symbol ∇²D and is also known as the double del operator.

2. How is the Laplacian of Dyad calculated in indicial notation?

The Laplacian of Dyad is calculated by taking the scalar product of the gradient operator (represented by the symbol ∇) and the divergence of the vector field D (represented by the symbol ∇·D). This can also be written as ∇²D = ∇·(∇D).

3. What are the applications of the Laplacian of Dyad in indicial notation?

The Laplacian of Dyad is commonly used in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of vector fields and study their properties. It is also used in the formulation of partial differential equations and in the study of boundary value problems.

4. How is the Laplacian of Dyad related to the Laplacian operator in Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, the Laplacian of Dyad can be written as ∇²D = ∂²D/∂x² + ∂²D/∂y² + ∂²D/∂z², which is equivalent to the Laplacian operator (∇²) acting on the vector field D. This shows that the Laplacian of Dyad is a generalization of the Laplacian operator to vector fields.

5. Can the Laplacian of Dyad be written in other coordinate systems?

Yes, the Laplacian of Dyad can be written in other coordinate systems such as cylindrical and spherical coordinates. In these coordinate systems, the Laplacian of Dyad takes a different form, but its fundamental properties and applications remain the same.